where to find public domain solaris software?

where to find public domain solaris software?

Post by carl » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

im after a web site that has reviews of new (or the best) applications
for solaris. Sunsite is just a big directory of stuff i dont know about.

my background is unfornatuly win based (academicly a student at Uni.) so
i know only a little bit about Unix apps. and the ones i have used are
generally of very poor quality. Is there a good website that
reviews/recommends UNIX apps, like the www.windows95.com web site?

ill take recomendations as i have a new sparc to set up for programming
and internting.

thanks.

-- carlo.

Post by Celeste Stokel » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> im after a web site that has reviews of new (or the best) applications
> for solaris. Sunsite is just a big directory of stuff i dont know about.

I've got links to many of the repositories, but few have reviews.
Still, you may find what you're looking for from our site at:
http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/shareware.www.html

..Celeste Stokely, Unix System Administration Consultant
Stokely Consulting, 211 Thompson Square, Mountain View CA 94043
Voice: 415.967.6898 - FAX: 415.967.0160

Celeste's Tutorials on Solaris 2.x/SunOS 4.1.3+ Modems & Terminals
http://www.stokely.com or ftp.batnet.com:/pub/wombats/stokely/ftp
See our Web pages for lots of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources!

Post by Christian Bergle » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> im after a web site that has reviews of new (or the best) applications
> for solaris. Sunsite is just a big directory of stuff i dont know about.

Perhaps the following URL can help you
     http://www.gaijin.com/

      ______________________________________

       http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~cbergler/

1. ANNOUNCE: Solaris Free or Public Domain Software Web Pages

Solaris Free or Public Domain Software Porting Project Web Pages

Solaris Users:

A few months ago I posted a note to this group announcing a project to
help Solaris users find public domain or free software ported to
Solaris 2.3 or 2.4.  I received a huge response from people who have
done a lot of work on porting and have anonymous ftp sites where
software can be found.

We are now ready to announce the availability of our Web pages for
testing and constructive comments.  We also are asking for more help
with locating software, testing ports, and providing anonymous ftp
access.

Our Web pages provide a search engine to help locate programs
and pointers to sites with Solaris ports.

There are two Web page sites for now:

http://christensen.cybernetics.net/solaris.html

(which probably should be used only for the non-graphics
versions of the pages) or

http://www.mbp.duke.edu/

(Duke's site mirrors mine and provides a faster access for
the pages containing graphics.)

Our pages will be upgraded and updated constantly as we receive more
information and comments.

As a reminder, Sun has a web page dedicated to helping you migrate to
Solaris 2.  The URL is http://www.sun.com/smcc/solaris-migration.  This
page contains tools, documentation, presentations, and whitepapers
related to Solaris 2 and the migration process.

A number of universities and others are involved in the project
and their contributions will come on-line soon.

Thanks go to Joel Conklin and the Solaris-Migration Team and Education
Groups at Sun for their significant help with this project.  Michael
Prisant at Duke has provided enthusiastic and expert support.  I am
grateful to Yuki Shinozaki at Duke and Bryant Durrell at Sun for
their programming on the search engine.  The software sites have been
highly generous to open their systems for anonymous ftp access.

Please read the "How You Can Help" Web page linked to the above pages.

Thank you.

Steve Christensen

Web: http://christensen.cybernetics.net/Christensen.html

2. Can I use linux as the only OS on my machine?

3. WEB PAGE: Solaris 2.5 Free or Public Domain Software Ports

4. Newbie question about requesting ip addresses

5. Public Domain Software on Solaris 2.X

6. kernel: file: table is full

7. The Solaris Public Domain Software Porting Project

8. message passing between user processes and kernel space

9. public domain elect. eng cad software?

10. Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Public Domain Software

11. Public Key Crypto in Public Domain?

12. Looking for UNIX Copy Protection Software (public domain?)

13. Public domain RAID-1 mirroring software available for linux?