HELP: defining print filter on remote printer

HELP: defining print filter on remote printer

Post by Alan McK » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 00:19:57

All I want to do is define a print filter for a print queue called "cco".
The printer itself is connected to a Novell server.  I already figured
out how to define filters on local printers by editing the interface
(thanks to the guy who helped me with that), but after 3 or 4 days of
trudging through the manuals (AnswerBook), I still don't quite understand
what to do.

I have a filter called "landscape", that simply changes the printer
(an HP LaserJet II) to landscape mode, cats the file, then changes
the printer back to portrait mode.

If I do this:

cat afile | landscape | lp -d cco

Everything works just fine.  However, I want to be able to have "lp"
automatically invoke "landscape" for me.  As I've mentioned, I've
waded through the man pages, but just can't figure it out.  I defined
my filter using the "lpfilter" command, but it isn't getting invoked.
I'm sure it is just a minor thing.

Could someone out there please help me through this?  I'm a quite learner,
and it shouldn't take too much of your time.  I know all the commands
that have to be used, and even how to use them.  There just seems to
be one vital piece of info missing!

thanks a lot for any help you can give me.
-Alan

--
       "Sometimes at night I like to punch out the headlights
             and just rocket blindly into the dark."

Post by Alan McK » Thu, 16 Mar 1995 02:40:56

>Could someone out there please help me through this?  I'm a quite learner,
>and it shouldn't take too much of your time.  I know all the commands
>that have to be used, and even how to use them.  There just seems to
>be one vital piece of info missing!

Further to that previous message.  What I don't seem to understand is
how the user is supposed to invoke the filter, or how it is I make the
connection between what the user types, and the filter being invoked.

Although, it is entirely possible that there is something else I don't
understand either. :-)

-Alan

--
       "Sometimes at night I like to punch out the headlights
             and just rocket blindly into the dark."
                              - James Hurley
                                Twin Peaks, Episode 19

1. Printing to remote laser printers / print filters

I've set up our 3.2.5 AIX box to print to some remote laser printers,
in /etc/qconfig.  But printing a standard UNIX file like /etc/motd
results in no carriage returns - just line feeds - and only the
first line comes out on the print out.  Can anyone tell me
where/how to put in a filter to insert CRs?

thanks in advance
patrick

/etc/qconfig entry:
tawap3:
        device = tawap3
        up = TRUE
        host = tawap3.wcc.govt.nz
        s_statfilter = /usr/lpd/aixshort
        l_statfilter = /usr/lpd/aixlong
        rq = lp
tawap3:
        backend = /usr/lpd/rembak

2. I want my DMP

3. Best way to spool and filter print jobs for remote printer?

4. how to copy directory and sub-directory

5. Remote printing using local filter, specify printer

6. AfterStep 1.4.5 unstable...

7. Pls help: define remote printer without ob3

8. Sol 7 - Browser change

9. remote printing - print filters never being called?

10. Remote Printing and Print Filters

11. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

12. User-defined print filter not working

13. remote printer won't print non plain text print jobs.