What kind of 8mm tape for 14 GB tape driver

What kind of 8mm tape for 14 GB tape driver

Post by Duffy M » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I has a 14 GB 8 mm Tape driver from SUN ans I wonder what kind of 8 mm
tape (112 meter , 120 meter or ???) I need purchase? Can anyone give me
some suggestion?  Thank you for help.

Post by Chris Lyo » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I has a 14 GB 8 mm Tape driver from SUN ans I wonder what kind of 8 mm
>tape (112 meter , 120 meter or ???) I need purchase? Can anyone give me
>some suggestion?  Thank you for help.

112 metre works fine but this will give a max of about 10GB.  For 14GB you need
the 160M tapes.  Sun says that you should only use Exabyte tapes, but I know of
several people who use the Sony ones without any problem.

Don't forget that you will also need to clean this drive with a cleaning tape
quite regularly.

Hope this helps,
Chris.
--
--------Chris Lyon - BT MCSS - Unix Systems Administrator------------

        Tel: +44 (0)171 250 7467 Fax: +44 (0)171 251 5622

The opinions expressed here are mine, and may not be those of BT Plc.

Post by Richard B. Joh » Fri, 05 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I has a 14 GB 8 mm Tape driver from SUN ans I wonder what kind of 8 mm
> tape (112 meter , 120 meter or ???) I need purchase? Can anyone give me
> some suggestion?  Thank you for help.

For a 15 meter tape, it will store .7gb uncompressed and 1.4gb compressed.

For a 112 meter tape, it will store 5gb uncompressed and 10gb compressed.

For a 160 meter tape, it will store 7gb uncompressed and 14 gb compressed.

Be sure to use only data-grade metal-particle media.  Do not use Hi-8
video media, because you may not be able to retrieve the data from it.

Regards,

R Johns

--
Richard B. Johns
Systems Engineer

What kind of 8mm tape for 14 GB tape driver

Post by Timothy J. Hancho » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

To take advantage of the 14gb capacity, I believe you will need to buy
160m tapes.

Tim Hanchon

1. creating tar tapes from 14 gb for a 5 gb tape drive

I've been trying with no success to create a tar tape from my Solaris 2.4
system using a 14 gb tape drive for a customer with a 2.3 and a 5 gb
tape drive, working on a Sun OS.  For the 5gb drive I use /dev/rmt/0l,
for the 2.3 drive I use /dev/rmt/0ln.  The customer still can't read any
of these tapes.  The solution is not to find another media and for now
we've been ftp'ing the files to them but I don't want to have to depend
on that.  I called Sun and their response was that this is a known
problem ( a phrase that makes me cringe) and sure enough, in the
documentation, this problem is mentioned in the Late Breaking News
booklet, page 3.  There is a work around but it's not one I wish to take
at this time, editing the /kernel. The technician who brought this to my
attention heavily suggested against this also.  Is there a way to deliver
a tar created tape that this customer can read?  My next step is to
try cpio but that's not the tar created tape that the customer would
like.  Star Lakavage, Aegis Services, P. O. Box 160, Clinton, TN  37717,
telephone 615-457-8242.

2. Problem on 4.0 with netscape 4.7

3. Re. copy 8mm tape to 8mm tape

4. Which upgrade, which browser...

5. Stupid Questions: Sun 8mm dump tape =>AIX 8mm dump tape

6. dhcp server bug ...

7. How can I get the IBM RS6000's 8mm tape to read other 8mm tapes ?

8. Ideas for a small asynch I/O example?

9. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

10. Will 20/40 GB tape drv write 5 GB tape?

11. 20 GB Differential SCSI 8mm Tape Drive

12. What kind of tape drive reads Sony MP120 tape?

13. 8MM and 4MM Tapes/Tape Drives