Jumpstart Client does not seem to find boot server.

Jumpstart Client does not seem to find boot server.

Post by Vla » Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:10:56

Hello,

I setup a JS install server (on one subnet) and on another subnet I
setup a boot server.
I use RARP/BOOTPARAMS for booting the client.

When JS client boots (boot net -v) it finds the boot server,
configures /dev and /devices says "using RPC bootparams ...", says
configured eri0 (the only network interface on client) and here it
dies.

I presume the JS client does not get the default root from the Boot
Server. The Boot Server has previously been hardened using JAAS. Does
anyone know what service (or lines in /etc/init.d/inetsvc ???) should
be started so that the JS client can find its way to the install
server and mount the OS image ??

I didn't find anywhere detailed information about how the default
route gets transfered from boot server to install server. Normally I
would not care "how exactly" it is done. But as you see I am forced
to.

Thank you.
Vlad Grama.

Jumpstart Client does not seem to find boot server.

Post by Eddi » Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:48:18

Hi Vlad,

Debugging Jumpstart is a time-consuming task.....but of course you want it
to work (been there....)
What makes you conclude it's the default route?? You don't tell whether it
worked before (before the JASS hardening)....
I'd try and snoop both subnets (with a bit of grepping you'd be able to see
what traffic goes between client, boot- and js-server.....
Lot's of JS-errors (non-visible) I ran into was NFS problems....this can be
recognized during snoops when client is re-requesting NFS-locations.....How
are your subnets separated?? By a router or firewall?? Are you sure you
allow the right traffic between them (firewall rules and router access
lists)??

Good luck!

Eddie

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Darren Dunha » Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:55:09

> Hello,
> I setup a JS install server (on one subnet) and on another subnet I
> setup a boot server.
> I use RARP/BOOTPARAMS for booting the client.
> When JS client boots (boot net -v) it finds the boot server,
> configures /dev and /devices says "using RPC bootparams ...", says
> configured eri0 (the only network interface on client) and here it
> dies.
> I presume the JS client does not get the default root from the Boot
> Server. The Boot Server has previously been hardened using JAAS. Does
> anyone know what service (or lines in /etc/init.d/inetsvc ???) should
> be started so that the JS client can find its way to the install
> server and mount the OS image ??

Hmm.  Why do you think it's the default route at issue?  Are you certain
the image has never been mounted rw by a client, and that it's shared
with anon=0?

Quote:> I didn't find anywhere detailed information about how the default
> route gets transfered from boot server to install server. Normally I
> would not care "how exactly" it is done. But as you see I am forced
> to.

The traditional method involves the use of rpc.bootparamd which is used
earlier in the boot process to specify the mount point for the root
directory.  It simply hands the client the same default route that is
used by the bootparamd server.

However, that point of the boot process isn't likely to stall based on a
default route.  Snoop the wire for client packets and see what you get.
Are you getting any NFS transactions at the time?

Jumpstart Client does not seem to find boot server.

Post by Vla » Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:36:04

Thank you for your replies. I found what was wrong. Indeed it had
nothing to do with the default route or JASS. And the NFS server setup
was Ok, too.

I had earlier installed a JumpStart boot server on one workstation;
now I was trying to put the boot server on another one. And I forgot
to stop or restart the rpc.bootparamd server on the old boot server.
So now I had two rpc.bootparamd servers in the same network.

So practically, because I was sloppy last time when I played with JS
and did not clean up after it I had to pay the price now. It was
however a good oportunity to learn more about the process and play
with snoop.

I simply stopped rarpd, tftpd, bootparamd,  nfs server on the old boot
server and it all worked fine.

BTW: is there any script provided with Solaris to undo the config
modifications done by the add_install_client  script  ( to automate
what I did in the above steps ) ?

Vlad Grama.

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:58:14

> BTW: is there any script provided with Solaris to undo the config
> modifications done by the add_install_client  script  ( to automate
> what I did in the above steps ) ?

If you look in the /tftpboot directory, it should create a rm.* script
for each host you've configured.

This won't necessarily undo everything (for instance if you've
associated an IP address or MAC address with the host, it won't remove
the entries from /etc/hosts or /etc/ethers).

Post by Peter Bunclar » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:25:07

>>BTW: is there any script provided with Solaris to undo the config
>>modifications done by the add_install_client  script  ( to automate
>>what I did in the above steps ) ?

>If you look in the /tftpboot directory, it should create a rm.* script
>for each host you've configured.

>This won't necessarily undo everything (for instance if you've
>associated an IP address or MAC address with the host, it won't remove
>the entries from /etc/hosts or /etc/ethers).

.../Solaris_9/Tools/rm_install_client

Pete

1. Jumpstart boot server - Clients don't boot.

Hi there everyone,

I have a boot server on one subnet and a bootserver/jumstart server on
another.

bootserver/jumstart   =  jumper
boot server = chiguay  (setup_install_server -b used).
Software is Solaris 9 8/03.

Clients can boot/jumpstart off jumper, so all is well.

Clients are unable to boot off the bootserver chiguay.

rpc.bootparamd and xxx are running.

add_install_client -e 0:3:ba:x:x:x:x -s jumper:/export/install test32 sun4u
Same command I used on  jumper.

There are entries in /tftpboot and its uncommented in inetd.conf,
/etc/bootparams and /etc/hosts are updated correctly.

total 298
   2 drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other        512 Jan 23 08:52 ./
   2 drwxr-xr-x  24 root     root         512 Jan 19 14:12 ../
   2 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Jan 23 08:52 AC110582 ->
inetboot.SUN4U.Solaris_9-1*
   2 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         26 Jan 23 08:52 AC110582.SUN4U ->
inetboot.SUN4U.Solaris_9-1*
 288 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     131424 Jan 23 08:52
inetboot.SUN4U.Solaris_9-1*
   2 -rw-r--r--   1 root     other        316 Jan 23 08:52 rm.172.17.5.130

/etc/bootparams:
cpocsw  root=chiguay:/export/install/Solaris_9/Tools/Boot
install=jumper:/export
/install boottype=:in   rootopts=:rsize=32768

chiguay's arp tables have no mapping for the new host.

The host is on the network.  I installed it aforehand with a test IP and
could ping both the router and the boot server.  Next I ran boot -net
install:
The SunFire v210 times out waiting for an r/arp packet.  The network guys
say that there is nowt wrong with the network.

Any thoughts?
Zii

2. File Permission Problem w/ SuSE 5.3

3. Jumpstart 2.5.1 Client from a 2.6 Jumpstart Server

4. monitor problems with X11 windows

5. How dows jumpstart client find route to install server

6. Is Linux for Sparc dead?

7. Boot server and client in same subnet..Mandated for 'Jumpstart'??

8. Partition Magic & Linux

9. DOS client network boot off of a Linux server

10. Q: Boot/Jumpstart Solaris 8 machines from a boot server on a remote segment...

11. IDE port not found without booting DOS

12. Q: Booting/Jumpstarting Solaris 8 from a boot server on a remote segment.

13. Creating jumpstart boot server image from the servers installed OS