Quest for libXm.a

Post by Tobias Trautman » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 01:44:04

Hi everybody,
I have a little trouble installing diffpack on my SPARCstation10
under Solaris2.4. I need libXm.a but it isn't installed on my
machine. AnswerBook tells me that it is part of the SUNWmfrun-package
but this is completely installed (according to pkginfo) and it
isn't mentioned in the according pkgmap-file on CD either...

Maybe I'm just too blind to see the obvious (or it is even one of
those FAQs), but if anybody has an idea where I went wrong, I'd
be happy to hear from him!

Tobias Trautmann
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Aeronomie
Max-Planck-Str. 2
37191 Katlenburg-Lindau

Quest for libXm.a

Post by Casper H.S. D » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 18:20:02

>I have a little trouble installing diffpack on my SPARCstation10
>under Solaris2.4. I need libXm.a but it isn't installed on my
>machine. AnswerBook tells me that it is part of the SUNWmfrun-package
>but this is completely installed (according to pkginfo) and it
>isn't mentioned in the according pkgmap-file on CD either...

You don't need libXm.a, you want libXm.so which lives in /usr/dt/lib.

Static linking of the Mootif library in 2.4 is not supported.
(Linking it with R5 or R6 libs is also not supported: the dynamic
motif library will automatically dynamically link libXt and libX11
from /usr/openwin/lib.

Casper

Quest for libXm.a

Post by Davin Mil » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 13:45:43

?Static linking of the Motif library in 2.4 is not supported.
?(Linking it with R5 or R6 libs is also not supported: the dynamic
?motif library will automatically dynamically link libXt and libX11
?from /usr/openwin/lib.)

Is there a good reason that Sun did this?

It seems to mean that if we want to use R6, we'll need to buy Motif from
someone else, even though it comes with 2.4?

Davin.

               Fax:       (716) 645-3464
               WWW:       http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~milun/

Quest for libXm.a

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 19:17:15

>Is there a good reason that Sun did this?

It wouldn't be different if Sun hadn't linked the libraries with
the X libs.  Even if they hadn't, linking with R6 (or MIT R5) isn't
supported and may fail in mysterious ways.

Quote:>It seems to mean that if we want to use R6, we'll need to buy Motif from
>someone else, even though it comes with 2.4?

Yes, but that should come as no surprise.  (and you'll have to buy Motif
either in source code or in binaries compiled against R6 includes)

Casper

Quest for libXm.a

;
;Yes, but that should come as no surprise.  (and you'll have to buy Motif
;either in source code or in binaries compiled against R6 includes)

Well, at the moment, under 2.3, we have Bluestone Motif libraries, which are
built for R5 (I don't recall offhand if it's MIT R5 or OW) but work fine
with R6.  However, we only have a small number of licenses.  We were hoping
that we could use the Motif libs that come with 2.4 for general use, with
our R6 stuff.

Post by Casper H.S. D » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 07:34:36

>Well, at the moment, under 2.3, we have Bluestone Motif libraries, which are
>built for R5 (I don't recall offhand if it's MIT R5 or OW) but work fine
>with R6.  However, we only have a small number of licenses.  We were hoping
>that we could use the Motif libs that come with 2.4 for general use, with
>our R6 stuff.

Which brings me to a second question:  why do you want to
use the R6 libraries?

Casper

Quest for libXm.a

Post by Amos A. Goua » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 15:33:19

CHSD> Static linking of the Mootif library in 2.4 is not supported.
CHSD> (Linking it with R5 or R6 libs is also not supported: the dynamic
CHSD> motif library will automatically dynamically link libXt and libX11
CHSD> from /usr/openwin/lib.

Sure would be nice if /usr/openwin/bin/xmkmf supported such imake defines
as XmClientLibs.  Perhaps 2.5 xmkmf/imake can be made more aware of the
Motif libs and header files?

Amos

1. libXm.so.2 and libXm.so.0

After much time and effort ( and LOTS of help from this newsgroup) this
novice to Linux found the libraries mentioned above (libXm.so.1.2 here).
Perhaps I am wrong but these appear to be part of the X11 (XFree86 ?)
libraries. Well I thought that once I figured this out then everything
would be easy to fix. You see I want to try out LLNL-Xdir (ftp program)
which requires libXm.so.0 and Xacc (an accounting program) which require
libXm.so.2.0. I have a recent distribution (TurboLinux3.0) and I have
searched Sunsite and XFree86.org all to no avail.

Am I missing something here?

Once again I humbly ask for help from the collective intelligence ( ???)
of this newsgroup.

Regards,
Clif
Julie and Clif Caldwell               Sent from the beautiful
                                       Upstate of South Carolina
Sender of this note:

2. Twin Cities Linux Users Group Installfest

3. libXm.so.2 ? libXm.so.1.2 ??

4. Books on SVR3 streams

5. How to make lesstif libXm.so.0.81 acts as libXm.so.1.2

6. Missing Samba Shares...

7. libXm.so.3 libXm.so.4

8. Real Player

9. linking to libXm.so.1.2 instead of libXm.so.2.0

10. quest on config linux

11. One more Dosemu Quest.

12. My Quest: to find UNIX TRAINERS

13. ”Re: Anti Microsoft Quest !