Restore root file system from tape, not working - help?

Restore root file system from tape, not working - help?

Post by Ian Crozie » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

                our root file system got burnt by a power outage.
        We replaced the disk, booted from cdrom and restored from a backup tape.
        We ran installboot, but when we try to boot we get a string of the following message:

        short read
        short read
        etc

        We restored the tape to an external disk, ran installboot and we are getting a similar
        problem i.e. short read, but there's also a message about not finding swapgeneric.

        Any infornation that could be helpful will be greatly appreciated.

        TIA

                                        Ian Crozier

Restore root file system from tape, not working - help?

Post by Ian Crozie » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi everybody,

>                 our root file system got burnt by a power outage.
>         We replaced the disk, booted from cdrom and restored from a backup tape.
>         We ran installboot, but when we try to boot we get a string of the following message:

>         short read
>         short read
>         etc

>         We restored the tape to an external disk, ran installboot and we are getting a similar
>         problem i.e. short read, but there's also a message about not finding swapgeneric.

>         Any infornation that could be helpful will be greatly appreciated.

>         TIA

>                                         Ian Crozier

Well, we solved our problem.

Believe it or not, it was caused by a bad SCSI cable!

Post by Jaime Orteg » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Hi everybody,

>                 our root file system got burnt by a power outage.
>         We replaced the disk, booted from cdrom and restored from a backup tape.
>         We ran installboot, but when we try to boot we get a string of the following message:

>         short read
>         short read
>         etc

>         We restored the tape to an external disk, ran installboot and we are getting a similar
>         problem i.e. short read, but there's also a message about not finding swapgeneric.

>         Any infornation that could be helpful will be greatly appreciated.

>         TIA

>                                         Ian Crozier

If you are in a hurry, I recommend installing Solaris again
from CDROM and restoring root from tape (except for /dev and
/devices) This process should not take you more than a couple
of hours.

(I assume you are not using ODS or Volume Manager)

Did you make sure your EPROM boot-device variable is pointing
to the right disk?

Cheers

        Jaime Ortega

1. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Hi,

I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
error.

I have Redhat 6.1.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Simon
--
 _________

| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com

Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

2. Testing to see how much SUN memory there realy is ????

3. Root file system on a floppy disk do not work

4. trapping process start event

5. Full restore from tape, but only root can read files

6. ethernet lockup in linux with ftp

7. Restoring root file systems

8. Sendmail problems

9. Restoring root file system using ufsrestore

10. Q: AIX 3.2.5 howto restore mksysb-image from file, not from tape

11. Amanda -> amrestore / restore problem 'Tape is not a dump Tape'

12. how to restore a tar file not from tape but disk?

13. HELP: restore full system from tape