Detecting disk drive errors

Post by Chris Piepe » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I need to detect disk drive errors or disk drive degredation.  I am
programming on a X86 Solaris 2.5 machine that has an IDE system disk.
I have not been able to find any documentation (including extensive
surfing) of Unix disk errors.  The information closest to what I need
seems to be described in /usr/include/sys/dkio.h or
/usr/include/sys/dktp/gen_vtoc.h.  In dkio.h I found a struct
defect_header that has two members but no information exists about
its members (head and buffer).  In gen_vtoc.h I found a struct
pdinfo that contained the sector and size of the error log area,
the manufacturers defect information, and the sector and size of the
defect map.

Any help would be appreciated

Post by Charles Buec » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I need to detect disk drive errors or disk drive degredation.  I am
>programming on a X86 Solaris 2.5 machine that has an IDE system disk.
>I have not been able to find any documentation (including extensive
>surfing) of Unix disk errors.

I think that SCSI disks (modern ones at least) have auto-remapping
of defect sectors so the only symptom (from the host) is a loss of
drive capacity with the time.

Don't know if IDE drives have something equivalent. It could be the
case since they use a physical-to-logical remapping anyway.

My 2ct worth...

Charles
---
Charles Bueche
http://home.worldcom.ch/~cbueche
IK24, Swiss Telecom, Bern, Switzerland

Post by Andreas Krom » Sat, 17 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: I think that SCSI disks (modern ones at least) have auto-remapping
: of defect sectors so the only symptom (from the host) is a loss of
: drive capacity with the time.

No. You get messages in the console window when the system detects
unreadable sectors. With "fmthard" you then can try to "repair"
the disk. I had this problem two weeks ago. My new hard disk started
to get more and more defect sectors.

--

------------------------
ANDREAS KROMKE

1. Jaz-drive detected, but can't read the disks?

Haai there,

I seem to have a problem with my SCSI Jaz-drive. Just recently it's
still detected by the kernel, but refuses to read any Jaz-disks. I got
medium sense errors on the SCSI-bus and after a while it tries to reset
the SCSI-bus, but fails again to read it. Booting without a Jaz disk in
the drive goes well. Inserting it also, but as soon as I want to mount
it, it fails.
Anyone any ideas? Is my drive defective? Or the disks? I can't believe
the last 2 however, since it worked fine before until recently.....
Any info would be appreciated...

Greetings,
       Sjoerd

| World Wide Web : http://web.inter.NL.net/users/S.Krol |
Predestination was doomed from the start.

2. Help me or I'll fdisk linux! aka Please help me

3. disk geometry of an IDE drive not/wrong detected

4. Ethernet Device Lockup - on FreeBSD 4.1

5. Linux boot disk doesn't detect my DAT drive!

6. Apache - lcok file

7. having problems with a drive (/dev/fd0) not detecting disk change, why?

8. Solaris 2.4

9. Jaz-drive detected, but can't read the disks?

10. Disk Druid can't detect hard drive???

11. my 3c509b not detected by installed kernel, IS detected when I use net root disk.

12. Linux boot disk doesn't detect my DAT drive!

13. SCSI and IDE Drives - can't detect IDE drives