Error: No Shell, when any user login

Post by Wei Yan » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Help!

We have a SPARCserver 20 running Solaris 2.4 here. Since yesterday,
nobody can login to it anymore, even root user. When any  user log in,
(either from the console, rlogin or telnet), and input the correct
password, the system will authorize  login process, then display an
error message as No Shell, and logout the user automatically.  I have
tried to boot machine into single user mode but still couldn't get in
the system. The system told me,   su: No Shell     at this time.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it? My basic guess is that
the file system or the hard drive has a problem, which makes the shell
not available anymore. If it is, can I reinstall the shell without
damaging the data in the hard driver? How?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wei Yang

Univ. of Maryland Eastern Shore

Post by Jason Shuma » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

[...]

It is much more likely that someone messed up your /etc/password file.
Boot from a Solaris install CD-ROM (I think the command is: boot -s cdrom),
mount your disk root partition to /mnt and look at /mnt/etc/password for
problems.
--
CUL8R,                             |  Lord Arthur: "Are all men from the future
Jason Shumate                      |     loud-mouthed braggarts?"

Post by David Ann » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>: Help!
 <snip>
>Boot from a Solaris install CD-ROM (I think the command is: boot -s cdrom),
>mount your disk root partition to /mnt and look at /mnt/etc/password for
>problems.

boot cdrom -s.

The rest is right, but you may want to fsck your boot partition before
mounting it.
** Dave Annis         | With age comes wisdom, if you **
** Sheboygan, WI      |   stay awake along the way!   **

1. Help: LOGIN: could not fork user's shell process: Resource temporarily unavailable (error 11)

Right after login get message

 LOGIN: could not fork user's shell process: Resource temporarily
unavailable (error 11)

Checked that SCO is Licensed correctly.

Checked that date is correct.

Checked not out of hard drive space for root.

Check SCO Technical Articles Search Center and didn't find a previous error
message like this reported.

2. Where is CD-Drive and Tape?

3. 'failed running login shell' no non-root user login possible

4. creative labs pci128 ensoniq soundcard kernel device?

5. login Problems with user shell -> no shell (xSol 2.6)

6. TELES S0 16.3 PNP I am on the end and need help

7. User changing login shell? (/etc/shells?)

8. port question

9. User input to C-Shell .login on SCO

10. xdm login not picking up changes to users shell

11. Bash or Tcsh as user login shell?

12. How can users change default login shell?

13. Help: "No Shell" on user login