System crashes (UFS related?) on reboot or shutdown

System crashes (UFS related?) on reboot or shutdown

Post by Jeffr » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 22:59:04

Hi all,

I have a pretty loaded (as in open connections, not CPU load) mail
server (Solaris 8, SDS mirroring for system partitions and plain UFS
on A1000 RAID).

It's primarily open with IMAP connections most of the time.

Occasionally when I shutdown or reboot after the system has been up
for a while (few days or more) it will panic of sorts towards the end
of the shutdown sequence. Of course this results in the usual
dump+reboot sequence.

The system runs fine when up, ie. it does not crash unexpectedly
(fingers crossed)

One thing I noticed as part of the crash messages was the word "UFS",
which leads me to think that it's an problem with too many files being
still open or something.

So I need some advice on how to tackle this, precautions I can think
of are:
- Making sure daemons have kill scripts in rc0.d
- Giving Sendmail enough time to finish or properly close current
transactions (I thought the sendmail shutdown script should take care
of this?)
- Introducing deliberate "sleep"s at certain stages in the shutdown
sequence
- adding some "sync"s at certain stages for good measure.

Am I on track, or way off? Would also appreciate any hints or feedback
on similar experiences.

For the record, I have experienced this same phenomenon on a Solaris 7
box (also functioning in a similar role)

Thanks for any inputs.
Jeffrey

System crashes (UFS related?) on reboot or shutdown

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 06:37:30

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have a pretty loaded (as in open connections, not CPU load) mail
> server (Solaris 8, SDS mirroring for system partitions and plain UFS
> on A1000 RAID).

> It's primarily open with IMAP connections most of the time.

> Occasionally when I shutdown or reboot after the system has been up
> for a while (few days or more) it will panic of sorts towards the end
> of the shutdown sequence. Of course this results in the usual
> dump+reboot sequence.
> So I need some advice on how to tackle this

Post the _exact_ crash message and stacktrace (and the
messages preceding this so we know exactly when it
happens). Only knowing it has the word "UFS" is pretty
useless. You might find this saved in /var/adm/messages
and/or printed by dmesg if the kernel console buffer
hasn't wrapped round yet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Jeffr » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:02:41

> > So I need some advice on how to tackle this

> Post the _exact_ crash message and stacktrace (and the
> messages preceding this so we know exactly when it
> happens). Only knowing it has the word "UFS" is pretty
> useless. You might find this saved in /var/adm/messages
> and/or printed by dmesg if the kernel console buffer
> hasn't wrapped round yet.

Hi Andrew,

I do not have the exact crash message (long story) but was hoping for
advice in general about what could cause an otherwise happily running
system to barf at shutdown.

I'll post the messages if I can find it.
Regards