newbie q: how to let a user kill another user's process?

newbie q: how to let a user kill another user's process?

Post by bass » Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:27:12



hi all! how you could help me with this newbie problem:

user A needs to kill user B's processes. neither are root. normal executing
gives 'not owner'.

thanks!

-Bassarabbas

 
 
 

newbie q: how to let a user kill another user's process?

Post by Kent Smit » Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:31:39




Quote:>hi all! how you could help me with this newbie problem:

>user A needs to kill user B's processes. neither are root. normal executing
>gives 'not owner'.

>thanks!

>-Bassarabbas

There is no straightforward way to do this in Solaris, but you have a
couple of options.  I'd probably create a script, owned by root with
SUID bit set that checks to make sure that the user executing it is
user A and kills the specified user B processes.  You would probably
want to log all usage.

You could also allow user A to sudo into user B to use the kill
command (only).

It depends on how much authority over user B you want to allow user A.
Is it ONLY to kill processes?

--Kent

=================================
Kent Smith * IPSO Incorporated
Business * Technology * Solutions
Financial Services and Accounting Systems Consulting

http://www.ipsoinc.com

 
 
 

newbie q: how to let a user kill another user's process?

Post by bass » Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:00:38


thanks for reply! :-D



> >hi all! how you could help me with this newbie problem:

> >user A needs to kill user B's processes. neither are root. normal
executing
> >gives 'not owner'.

> >thanks!

> >-Bassarabbas

> There is no straightforward way to do this in Solaris, but you have a
> couple of options.  I'd probably create a script, owned by root with
> SUID bit set that checks to make sure that the user executing it is
> user A and kills the specified user B processes.  You would probably
> want to log all usage.

> You could also allow user A to sudo into user B to use the kill
> command (only).

Is 'sudo' a command, or do you mean 'su - <user B>' ?
Quote:

> It depends on how much authority over user B you want to allow user A.
> Is it ONLY to kill processes?

Yes, only to kill processes

- Show quoted text -

Quote:

> --Kent

> =================================
> Kent Smith * IPSO Incorporated
> Business * Technology * Solutions
> Financial Services and Accounting Systems Consulting

> http://www.ipsoinc.com

 
 
 

newbie q: how to let a user kill another user's process?

Post by bass » Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:23:06





> > thanks for reply! :-D




> > > >hi all! how you could help me with this newbie problem:

> > > >user A needs to kill user B's processes. neither are root. normal
> > executing
> > > >gives 'not owner'.

> > > >thanks!

> > > >-Bassarabbas

> > > There is no straightforward way to do this in Solaris, but you have a
> > > couple of options.  I'd probably create a script, owned by root with
> > > SUID bit set that checks to make sure that the user executing it is
> > > user A and kills the specified user B processes.  You would probably
> > > want to log all usage.

> > > You could also allow user A to sudo into user B to use the kill
> > > command (only).
> > Is 'sudo' a command, or do you mean 'su - <user B>' ?

> No, it's a separate utility you download, build, configure, and install.
> You can get the pre-compiled version from

> http://dcsearch.sun.com/search/sfw/index.jsp?qt=sudo&qp=&qp=

> You didn't mention the version and architecture of your system, so I'll
> leave the digging to you.  Google is also your friend.

Ok thanks! I'll try what you've suggested. Google didn't work, tough....

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> --
> DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

 
 
 

1. Kill 'Old' User Process on Login of Same User

ALL --

We have a SCO server with a windows based terminal emulation program
for telnet sessions to the server application.

I'd like to find a script which, ideally, upon login of the user,
quickly checks who is on the sco box (who | grep -u), and, if that
user exists already, blows the old user process away or (perhaps more
kinder, gentler) prompts the new user if they want to kill the old
session prior to logging-in.  The prompt would then ensure users
don't automatically kill something they shouldn't be.

I've been searching the sco and unix newsgroups with bits here and
there but nothing that seems like a complete solution.

If my explanation is incomplete in any way as to functionality of
said script, please email me direct as well as post to this group.

Emailing me direct is preferable anyway.

Thanks for any insight you can provide !

-- Boston IT Guy

2. boot diskette

3. How can I let a "normal user" kill processes

4. Making write cache work on SSA

5. how to do to let users kill processes

6. editing binary characters in vi/ex

7. How to kill user processes and log users off??

8. Passive ftp client

9. How to kill process which not killed by 'kill' ?

10. message passing between user processes AND between a user process and kernel space

11. [TRIVIAL] don't let OOM killer kill same process repeatedly

12. A method to kill process that cannot be killed even with `kill -9'.

13. Try to keep Unix Qs is Unix newsgroups (was: chroot a user's account)