error while extracting tar file

Post by shan » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:41:00

Hi,

I get an error while extracting a tar file from tape
I use the command :

# tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0

tar: read error :unexpected end of file

Can anyone pls let me know as why I am getting this error?

Thanks

Shashank

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:43:05

> Hi,

> I get an error while extracting a tar file from tape
> I use the command :

> # tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0

> tar: read error :unexpected end of file

> Can anyone pls let me know as why I am getting this error?

Because you have reached the end of the tape?

Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

error while extracting tar file

Post by shan » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:47:25

Hi Dragon,

The tape is 40/80 DLT and the backup to be taken is of around 47GB.

Is it not sufficient??

Shashank

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:55:35

> Hi Dragon,

Hi Shunk,

Quote:

> The tape is 40/80 DLT and the backup to be taken is of around 47GB.

> Is it not sufficient??

Depends. How well does your data compress? Uncompressed capacity of your
DLT tape is 40GB.

Bye, Dragan

P.S. To get the drive to compress automatically, I write to
/dev/rmt/0cbn, but that depends on tape drive model.

--

Post by j.. » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:59:56

> The tape is 40/80 DLT and the backup to be taken is of around 47GB.

> Is it not sufficient??

Is the data compressed? I believe the 40/80 capacity specification
depends on whether the data is compressed or not. HP, at least, claims
a "native capacity" (which I take to mean uncompressed) of 40GB.

Joe
--
It was impossible to get a conversation going;
everybody was talking too much.

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:02:59

> I get an error while extracting a tar file from tape
> I use the command :
> # tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0
> tar: read error :unexpected end of file
> Can anyone pls let me know as why I am getting this error?

If that's the entire error, I'd guess that the tape file you're reading
isn't a tar file.  You might verify that the tape is positioned
properly.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

error while extracting tar file

Post by Erlend Legange » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:09:02

Dragan Cvetkovic wrote on 2005-09-22 17:43:

Quote:> Because you have reached the end of the tape?

Do you have a log of what happened when the tape was created? If your
file didn't fit on the tape, you should have seen some error notification.

--
- Erlend Leganger

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:14:00

> Dragan Cvetkovic wrote on 2005-09-22 17:43:
>> Because you have reached the end of the tape?

> Do you have a log of what happened when the tape was created? If your file
> didn't fit on the tape, you should have seen some error notification.

You talkin' to me? :-)
(http://www.grokdotcom.com/topics/YouTalkingToMe.html)

I have neither created nor am I reading that tape but the OP might have it.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole      No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer

1. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories

For example, if I have foo.tar.gz consisting of:

foo/
    bar/
      baz/
        file1.png

What (GNU) tar options do I have to use to extract the file 'file1.png'
to ~/tmp without the directory hierarchy 'foo/bar/baz'?

Something like:

   $ tar zx ~/tmp/file1.png f foo.tar.gz   #This does not work...

Should produce:

~/tmp/
    file1.png

Any thoughts?

TIA,

    Erik.

2. Free www Service

3. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories.

4. modems & solaris2

5. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary

6. DHCP client

7. Extracting files from multivolume tar archive made with SCO tar

8. Permedia ][

9. Checksum error extracting files with tar.

10. using tar command to extract tarred files

11. tar error: HELP - extract write error

12. tar extract using file of files

13. Extracting files from a tar file