When will Solaris Sun C++ compiler support STL ?

When will Solaris Sun C++ compiler support STL ?

Post by Nasser Abba » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

hello,

Any one (may be from Sun) care to comment as to when Sun will
add STL support to their C++ compiler? I now use the V 4.1
compiler on solaris 2.5, and this according to my system
admin, is the latest and greatest Sun C++ compiler, and it has
no STL support, and I am finding out that C++ compilers on the
PC platform are closer to the ANSI/ISO draft C++ language than
the Sun C++ compiler. (example VC++ 4.1 has STL, namespaces,
cstring,RTTI, the new castings etc.., I am sure BC++ 5.0 also
has some if not all of the above)

A big, rich , powerfull company like Sun should be ahead
in compilers , not behind those for the  PC platform, after
all, a workstation is bigger and more powerfull and cost
more than a PC , right?

There is even no <cstring.h> nor the RTTI <typeinfo.h> in
my compiler include directory (among other missing things),
which is in the C++ standard library. Does one have to go
to VC++ and windows use C++ compilers with the latest features?

May be all the Sun compiler engineers are all busy on Java
now and no one is doing much for the C++ compiler ?

Please Sun, bring your C++ compiler close to ANSI/ISO draft
C++ langauge and add all the standard C++ header libraries
and the STL support and libraries soon ! .

thanks,
Nasser
--
Nasser Abbasi. C/C++/Ada Solaris. GeneAssist - A client/server application
for Nucleic acid and protein sequence search and analysis.

MSEE(control), MSCS, MSCE, FM (Fide Chess Master).

When will Solaris Sun C++ compiler support STL ?

Post by Nasser Abba » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

ref (me)

I am really confused now. (which is not hard to happen).

I went and read the /opt/SUNWspro/READMEs/c++   on my solaris 2.5, to see
about the sun C++ 4.1 compiler and its says:

Quote:>D. Software Incompatibilities

>        C++ 4.1 is a native compiler implementation of the draft
>        ANSI/ISO C++ standard.

Ok, so I open the ANSI/ISO C++ draft book, and in 17.3.1.2 it tells
me the C++ standard library headers are:

<ostream>  <string>

So, I said to myself, great, my be Sun C++ will have these, so
I go look in the include directory:

$ cd /opt/SUNWspro/SC4.0/include/CC
$ ls

complex.h       fstream.h       iostream.h      osfcn.h
stdiostream.h   strstream.h     task.h          demangle.h
generic.h       libc.h          rlocks.h        stream.h        sys/
common.h        exception.h     iomanip.h       new.h           rw/
strings.h       sysent.h

As you can see, a number of the standard C++ headers are not
there. No functional.h, no deque.h etc...

Offcourse, STL is no where to be seen. I thought that STL is
now part of ANSI/ISO C++, since the draft does list the STL headers
also, but on my system I do not see any of those headers.

So my question is, how come the READ me file for Sun C++ 4.1
says it is ANSI/ISO draft C++, while I see none of the C++ standard
header there? I am using Sun C++ 4.1 and it is installed on
my workstation.

Is it possible there is a missing patch? or missing software
our system admin needs to install?  or may be I am mis-understanding
what it means for a C++ compiler to be ANSI/ISO compatible? or may be
they don't mean the latest ANSI/ISO C++ draft (which is April 95) ?

dont know..

bye
Nasser

--
Nasser Abbasi. C/C++/Ada Solaris. GeneAssist - A client/server application
for Nucleic acid and protein sequence search and analysis.

MSEE(control), MSCS, MSCE, FM (Fide Chess Master).

When will Solaris Sun C++ compiler support STL ?

Post by Bryan Altha » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

:
: hello,
:
: Any one (may be from Sun) care to comment as to when Sun will
: add STL support to their C++ compiler? I now use the V 4.1
: compiler on solaris 2.5, and this according to my system
: admin, is the latest and greatest Sun C++ compiler, and it has
: no STL support, and I am finding out that C++ compilers on the
: PC platform are closer to the ANSI/ISO draft C++ language than
: the Sun C++ compiler. (example VC++ 4.1 has STL, namespaces,
: cstring,RTTI, the new castings etc.., I am sure BC++ 5.0 also
: has some if not all of the above)
:
: A big, rich , powerfull company like Sun should be ahead
: in compilers , not behind those for the  PC platform, after
: all, a workstation is bigger and more powerfull and cost

The upcoming CC v 4.2 will come bundled with Rogue Wave's Tools.h++ 7.0
and Standard Library. The Standard library will include the ANSI string
class, STL etc.

The ANSI C++ document is still in draft, and no vendor is current. MS
just released VC++ 4.1 so it's no surprise that is more up to date than
CC 4.1 which has been out for awhile.

In order to support draft STL, the C++ compiler needs more template support
which is added in 4.2.  RTTI, etc. are there as well.

If you need ANSI string, STL etc.  ObjectSpace has STL<ToolKit> for
about $195 that will compile under even cfront compilers. Check
out www.objectspace.com.

CC v4.2 just wen into EA testing (beta).  No release date.

By the way, Borland as well as SGI will be shipping RogueWave's Standard
Library.  Check out www.roguewave.com.

When will Solaris Sun C++ compiler support STL ?

Post by Mike Ba » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

> hello,

> Any one (may be from Sun) care to comment as to when Sun will
> add STL support to their C++ compiler? I now use the V 4.1
> compiler on solaris 2.5, and this according to my system
> admin, is the latest and greatest Sun C++ compiler, and it has
> no STL support, and I am finding out that C++ compilers on the

C++4.1 most certainly does have STL support. It supports both the Public Domain
STL from HP and the commercial one from ObjectSpace.

Quote:> PC platform are closer to the ANSI/ISO draft C++ language than
> the Sun C++ compiler. (example VC++ 4.1 has STL, namespaces,
> cstring,RTTI, the new castings etc.., I am sure BC++ 5.0 also
> has some if not all of the above)

> A big, rich , powerfull company like Sun should be ahead
> in compilers , not behind those for the  PC platform, after
> all, a workstation is bigger and more powerfull and cost
> more than a PC , right?

Wrong.  Big Rich companies like Sun have lots of Big Rich customers who
are opposed to changes that break their compiled code.  The size of systems
developed on Sun systems tends to be much larger than those on PC's, and
the use of binary libraries is much higher.

We surveyed our customers and the response was overwhelmingly for not
putting in any changes that would impact binary compatibility.  We are planning
one big change in the not-to-distant future, since the Draft standard
seems to have slowed it's change rate.  This is the "break it once, but not
more" philosophy.

We realize that there are some people who want the latest and greatest
features, and we sympathize, especially since we tend to be among them.
For better or worse, such people are not typical of our customer base.

Our next release, available on early access now, does support RTTI, by the way.

---
Michael Ball
Sun Development Products

When will Solaris Sun C++ compiler support STL ?

Post by Bryan O'Sulliv » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

writes:

b> The upcoming CC v 4.2 will come bundled with Rogue Wave's Tools.h++
b> 7.0 and Standard Library. The Standard library will include the
b> ANSI string class, STL etc.

The Rogue Wave library is robust and well-designed.  If you simply
can't wait for SC4.2 final, you can order RW7 direct from Rogue Wave;
it's pretty cheap (I think something like $100 a pop), and builds
straightforwardly out of the box.

b> CC v4.2 just wen into EA testing (beta).  No release date.

I've been using it internally on production-quality code for a few
months; it's very stable, and produces speedy code.

        <b

--
Let us pray:
What a Great System.

Post by Jon Hornste » Mon, 22 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>hello,
>Any one (may be from Sun) care to comment as to when Sun will
>add STL support to their C++ compiler? I now use the V 4.1
>compiler on solaris 2.5, and this according to my system
>admin, is the latest and greatest Sun C++ compiler, and it has
>no STL support, and I am finding out that C++ compilers on the
>PC platform are closer to the ANSI/ISO draft C++ language than
>the Sun C++ compiler. (example VC++ 4.1 has STL, namespaces,
>cstring,RTTI, the new castings etc.., I am sure BC++ 5.0 also
>has some if not all of the above)
>A big, rich , powerfull company like Sun should be ahead
>in compilers , not behind those for the  PC platform, after
>all, a workstation is bigger and more powerfull and cost
>more than a PC , right?
>There is even no <cstring.h> nor the RTTI <typeinfo.h> in
>my compiler include directory (among other missing things),
>which is in the C++ standard library. Does one have to go
>to VC++ and windows use C++ compilers with the latest features?
>May be all the Sun compiler engineers are all busy on Java
>now and no one is doing much for the C++ compiler ?
>Please Sun, bring your C++ compiler close to ANSI/ISO draft
>C++ langauge and add all the standard C++ header libraries
>and the STL support and libraries soon ! .
>thanks,
>Nasser
>--
>Nasser Abbasi. C/C++/Ada Solaris. GeneAssist - A client/server application
>for Nucleic acid and protein sequence search and analysis.

>MSEE(control), MSCS, MSCE, FM (Fide Chess Master).

We're using STL on solaris V2.4 and 2.5 using the objectspace library
(www.objectspace.com). We had problems with the C++ V4 compiler/linker
combination. We had to reorder object files add dummy modules, too
hard so  we switched back to the V3.01 compiler and are having no
problems.

Jon
        \|/
       (o o)
--oOOO--(_)--OOOo-------------------------------------------------------

   .oooO         9 Curley St, East Brighton, 3187, Australia
   (   )   Oooo. Tel. 95929398 (Melb. Australia)
----\ (----(   )--------------------------------------------------------
     \_)    ) /
           (_/

Post by Jay Sco » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>We're using STL on solaris V2.4 and 2.5 using the objectspace library
>(www.objectspace.com). We had problems with the C++ V4 compiler/linker
>combination. We had to reorder object files add dummy modules, too
>hard so  we switched back to the V3.01 compiler and are having no
>problems.

hmm...  i'm not trying to change the subject, just tossing in a
sidebar.

isn't the STL a separate standard, at least as far as the
way it's viewed administratively by ANSI?  (that's what i
thought -- am i wrong?)  ie,  it's not
contained in the C++ standard, it's off by itself.  granted,
the STL standard can't be 100.000000% independent of C++, but
they can be separated somewhat.  i thought they'd done that in the
interest of "divide and conquer," if you will.

another sidebar:  we've had trouble with the incremental loader
in MOST of the languages, f77, f90.  I can't think of a C or C++
problem but i'd sure suspect it.  turn it off on the command line
with -xildoff.  (just in case you want to try the V4 compilers
again.)

j.
--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553

Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
University of Texas at Austin

Post by Carl Laurence Gonsalve » Thu, 25 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >We're using STL on solaris V2.4 and 2.5 using the objectspace library
> >(www.objectspace.com). We had problems with the C++ V4 compiler/linker
> >combination. We had to reorder object files add dummy modules, too
> >hard so  we switched back to the V3.01 compiler and are having no
> >problems.

> isn't the STL a separate standard, at least as far as the
> way it's viewed administratively by ANSI?  (that's what i
> thought -- am i wrong?)  ie,  it's not
> contained in the C++ standard, it's off by itself.  granted,
> the STL standard can't be 100.000000% independent of C++, but
> they can be separated somewhat.  i thought they'd done that in the
> interest of "divide and conquer," if you will.

Right now people seem to view STL as a separate thing, but AFAIK, it's
supposed to be slurped in with the rest of the C++ library when C++
finally gets standardized. ie: it won't be the "standard template library"
anymore, it'll be "the templates in the standatrd library". The STL stuff
is also non-platform specific (unlike file io, etc), so if a "reference
implementation" is created, it would probably work with any standards
conforming C++ compiler. (assuming such a compiler will ever exist... :-)

--

                   Computer Science, University of Waterloo
               http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~clgonsal/