Ultra 2 is getting slower

Post by Patrick Schlaepfe » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi
Some users reported a problem that occurs if the server (Ultra 2)
is running a long time. It seems that there's a dramatical performance
loss on the system.
If you reboot the system, everything works fine.
Any solutions?

Pat
--
 ________ ________
 ___  __ \__  ___/ Patrick Schlaepfer     Fax: +41-1-740 96 03

 /_/  http://www.schlaepfer.com

Ultra 2 is getting slower

Post by Brian Fod » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>Hi
:>Some users reported a problem that occurs if the server (Ultra 2)
:>is running a long time. It seems that there's a dramatical performance
:>loss on the system.
:>If you reboot the system, everything works fine.
:>Any solutions?
:>
:>Pat
:>--

Sounds like there are some run-away processes out there chewing up
your CPU.  Does ps -eaf show any such processes?  What pids
have the most time on them?

Brian Foddy
Eagan, MN

Ultra 2 is getting slower

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Mon, 10 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>writes:
>:>Some users reported a problem that occurs if the server (Ultra 2)
>:>is running a long time. It seems that there's a dramatical performance
>:>loss on the system.
>:>If you reboot the system, everything works fine.
>:>Any solutions?
>Sounds like there are some run-away processes out there chewing up
>your CPU.  Does ps -eaf show any such processes?  What pids
>have the most time on them?

Another common cause is memory leakage and excessive swapping over time.

E.g., it may matter if they're using dtlogin and never restart the
X server.  And make sure that you apply the relevant Xsun/ffb patches.

103566-11: OpenWindows 3.5.1: Xsun patch
103796-07: Creator 2.5.1:  FFB Graphics Patch

Among the bugs fixed in the latter patch are some memory leaks.

BTW, don't be alarmed by the huge size of the Xsun server on machines
with a creator.  (Typically it will have a 120MB+ size as the device
mappings count when computing the RSS)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Ultra 2 is getting slower

Post by mack » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> writes:
> :>
> :>Hi
> :>Some users reported a problem that occurs if the server (Ultra 2)
> :>is running a long time. It seems that there's a dramatical performance

You could have a memory leak. As well you might want to
look at Q5.36 in the Solaris2  FAQ where possible causes
for this symptom are discussed ( http://www.fwi.uva.nl/pub/solaris )

Joe

--

SysAdmin Xray Lab                              FAX-(919)-684-8885
MacroMolecular Structure Group, Duke University, Durham NC, 27710

Ultra 2 is getting slower

Post by D. Roc » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: >writes:

: >:>Some users reported a problem that occurs if the server (Ultra 2)
: >:>is running a long time. It seems that there's a dramatical performance
: >:>loss on the system.
: >:>If you reboot the system, everything works fine.
: >:>Any solutions?

: >Sounds like there are some run-away processes out there chewing up
: >your CPU.  Does ps -eaf show any such processes?  What pids
: >have the most time on them?

: Another common cause is memory leakage and excessive swapping over time.

: E.g., it may matter if they're using dtlogin and never restart the
: X server.  And make sure that you apply the relevant Xsun/ffb patches.

: 103566-11: OpenWindows 3.5.1: Xsun patch
Is a similar patch also available for Solaris x86?

During a usual X session my X server grows up to 20-30MB. (This is

less than half.

You can see the difference extremely in ghostview:
Select a magstep of 5. Wow, now it needs 45MB, even after quitting ghostview
(XFree86 in contrast only blows up a few MBytes and releases them after
closing ghostview).

I usually run OpenWin anyway (DPS is faster than ghostscript, though it can't
display all files) but a little less memory consumption would be nice.

Daniel

1. PPP gets slower and slower

I am using KPPP with Mandrake 9.0, dial-up with an internal Conexant-based
modem with the correct RPM from the Conexant project site.

As a session progresses, the time to connect gets slower and slower.  I can
usually get to "starting pppd", but the next stage times out with Exit
Status 10, even with the time allowed set to maximum.

Any ideas? TIA.

Doug.

2. Gigabyte GA-6BXDS Multiprocessor Based board

3. Server getting slower and slower. Why?

4. Help with setting up XFree please.

5. logout gets slower and slower!

6. detect modem use

8. Error:Undefined reference to deflateinit_

9. Solaris 2.5: IPC gets faster, Sparc 20 gets slower?

10. telnet logins running slower and slower...

11. Workshop 4.2 -> 5.0 -> 6.0 slower and slower...

12. cable connect.slower&slower->dead

13. DSL on Linux 2.2.20: internet getting slower