Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

Post by Daniel Tat » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:56:18

How can it be done?

I know its possible, but i can't quite figure out how.

Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

Post by Daniel Tat » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 05:22:43

Answering own question:

setenv boot-file kernel/unix

:(

Quote:> How can it be done?

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:20:21

|How can it be done?
|I know its possible, but i can't quite figure out how.

It's only possible on older machines.  SunBlades & SunFires will
generally refuse to run the 32-bit kernel since they can't find many
of their device drivers.

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:16:53

> Not sure what you mean by this.  There are 2 kernels, I beleive.
> A 32-bit and 64-bit.  You can boot either one.  The 64-bit kernel
> needs a sun4u architecture while the 32-bit kernel can run on
> sun4d, sun4m.  Perhaps also sun4 or sun4c, but I'm not sure.

Michael,

sun4 support was dropped after Solaris 2.4.
sun4c support was dropped after Solaris 7.

sun4d & sun4m will probably be the next ones to go, in Solaris 10 or 11...

Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 04:38:03

>sun4 support was dropped after Solaris 2.4.
>sun4c support was dropped after Solaris 7.
>sun4d & sun4m will probably be the next ones to go, in Solaris 10 or 11...

EOL of sun4d support was already announced for "the release after Solaris 8".

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

Hi every one,

I have installed Solaris 9 on a Sun Sparc E220R. When I installed, it asked
me whether you want 32 bit or 64/32 bit support. I select 32/64 bit support
and I was assuming that it will boot in 64 bit, but when system booted after
the installation, it was in 32 bit mode.

Can I force the system to boot in 64 bit mode or there is any other way ...

Please advise.

Regards and thanks in advance for the advise.

Abdul Majid

2. No more FreeBSD vs XXnx

3. Solaris 8 in 64 bit mode or 32 bit mode?

4. about solaris system administrator certification

5. How do I switch from 32-bit mode to 64-bit mode?

6. Free Internet Access World Wide

7. Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci

8. FC14 and ssh

9. How to determine 32 bit and 64 bit machine

10. Compiling 64-bit code on 32-bit machine

11. difference in operating system interface in 32 bits and 64 bits mode

12. sun compiler 64 bit mode mixed up with 32 bit ?

13. 2 Questions-SMP / 32 bit on 64 bit machine