ytalk under solaris

Post by Roberto Dori » Sat, 09 Apr 1994 11:39:02

Hello there,

        I was wondering if anybody has been able to compile ytalk on
solaris 2.3, and if so which version.  I had it running on SunOS 4.1.1,
but I haven't had such luck since the move :(

THanks,

Rob

ytalk under solaris

Post by Brian A. Hi » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 12:30:34

>Hello there,

>    I was wondering if anybody has been able to compile ytalk on
>solaris 2.3, and if so which version.  I had it running on SunOS 4.1.1,
>but I haven't had such luck since the move :(

I got ytalk compiled on solaris, and I don't remember any problems so it
couldn't have been that hard.  One thing that was tricky is talkd and ntalkd
for some reason solaris only comes with talkd which is an old version of the
protocol.  Since most newer versions of talk use ntalkd it's hard for
them to communicate with a solaris machine.  I ported ntalkd from NetBSD
with suprizingly no problems (just an unsupported TIOC that got /* */)
Maybe your ytalks works and it's just the remote machine trying to connect
to the ntalkd port.  If you want my code, I'd be more than happy to send it
to you -- just drop me a line.

--
Brian A. Hirt