Bind to reserved port without superuser right.

Bind to reserved port without superuser right.

Post by spacele » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:31:00

How can I bind to reserved port (0-1023) in solaris,

without superuser right...........

I need help...

Thanks in advance~~

Best Regards
Space Lee

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:50:10

> How can I bind to reserved port (0-1023) in solaris,

> without superuser right...........

You can't - that's why they're reserved!

(Actually, IIRC there's a kernel parameter you can tweak
that lets you specify the lowest unprivileged port number,
but I can't remember off the top of my head what it is.)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Rick Jone » Sun, 29 Jul 2001 09:28:52

>> How can I bind to reserved port (0-1023) in solaris,
>> without superuser right...........
> You can't - that's why they're reserved!
> (Actually, IIRC there's a kernel parameter you can tweak that lets
> you specify the lowest unprivileged port number, but I can't
> remember off the top of my head what it is.)

And I suspect you need to be root to set it...

rick jones
--
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...

1. Where is check for superuser in TCP port bind.

Obviously (to me) this check is in tcp_v4_get_port().
But, I can't find it, or perhaps it's better hidden than I thought.
Or maybe I'm just very confused.
Any help would be most welcome.

-

2. Black console with kdm and nvidia driver

3. automount: cannot bind to reserved port

4. hostname.le0...

5. Automount problem: Unable to bind to reserved port.

6. Powerbook 3400 XF86Config, anyone have one?

7. nfs_mount: Can't bind to reserved port

8. mounting adfs partition

9. automount: cannot bind to reserved port

10. Q: Anyway to reserve a port without deadlocking it?

11. RPC services without binding to RPC Bind/PortMap?

12. Antigen Notification:RE: Your message Inc. All rights reserved. / Votre message intitulé Inc. All rights reserved.

13. Giving remote (ssh) user superuser rights?