2.4 x86: Support for Spea Mercury P64?

Post by Torsten Kas » Fri, 15 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Is anyone out there using Sun's Xserver with a Spea Mercury P64 graphics
board (S3/964 2 MB VRAM)? I know that the ISA board is supported but
unfortunately this configuration does not work with my PCI board.

I've been told that SunSoft was working with Spea and support for this
board was expected around DU 8/9...

Has someone found a working configuration for this graphics card?

Perhaps someone from SunSoft is listening: Are there still plans to
support this graphics card?

Any hints appreciated.

        Torsten

--

                                http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/~torsten/

Post by Lupe Christo » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>Is anyone out there using Sun's Xserver with a Spea Mercury P64 graphics
>board (S3/964 2 MB VRAM)? I know that the ISA board is supported but
>unfortunately this configuration does not work with my PCI board.
>I've been told that SunSoft was working with Spea and support for this
>board was expected around DU 8/9...
>Has someone found a working configuration for this graphics card?
>Perhaps someone from SunSoft is listening: Are there still plans to
>support this graphics card?

The problem is not with SunSoft but with SPEA. They have been refusing
to work with *any* Unix vendor, AFAIK. Maybe even OS/2, I suspect.
Some SPEA cards find their way into Openwin support through the back
door.

I'd recommend you get XFree 3.1.2. It worked execellently for me when
I needed X on a Mirage.

Or you buy a graphics card from a vendor that is more reasonable.
When I went from a VLB machine to a PCI machine, I switched from
the old Mercury VLB to a #9 Motion 771. Apart from problems
switching back the card to character mode sometimes (colored vertical
stripes) it runs fine.

Having said this, I still have a way that *might* work for you.

Have a look at the card and identify the chips that are not random
logic. You need to find the RAMDAC and possibly the clock chip.

If your card has an ATT20C505, there is no clock chip, I believe.
I tried such a Mercury P-64 PCI once and failed, even though I got
a new ddxSUNWs3.so.1 module from the guy who develops this stuff
(Thanks, Thomas!).

You might want to give it a try with a newer Video Driver Update.
Here are the first two sections of the XQA file I put together. Copy
some other file in /usr/openwin/etc/devdata/SUNWaccel/boards/spea
and change the first two sections to:

[ADAPTER]
    "SPEA Mercury P64/V7";

[ADAPTER_INFO]
    Module         = "s3.ddx";
    Vendor         = "SPEA/V7";
    Board          = "Mercury P64";
    GraphicsChip   = "86C964";
    Ramdac         = "ATT20C505";
    VideoMemory    = 2048;
    MinPClk        =   0.000;
    MaxPClk        = 135.000;
    MaxHorTotal    = 8192;
    MaxVerTotal    = 2048;
    Interlaced     = Supported;

If you have a different RAMDAC, you can do this:
        cd /usr/openwin/server/modules
        strings ddxSUNWs3.so.1 | more

Have a look for the name of your RAMDAC and use that string.

Good luck, and if you have success, please report it to this newsgroup.
--

| Join the army, travel the world,                   | s-/+ n+ h f* g+ w+ t+  |
| kill interesting people.                           | r+ !y                  |

2.4 x86: Support for Spea Mercury P64?

Post by Torsten Kas » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> The problem is not with SunSoft but with SPEA. They have been refusing
> to work with *any* Unix vendor, AFAIK. Maybe even OS/2, I suspect.
> Some SPEA cards find their way into Openwin support through the back
> door.

Oh, I didn't know that. In fact, I was pleased with their support when
I had to send the board to them due to a hardware failure...

Quote:> I'd recommend you get XFree 3.1.2. It worked execellently for me when
> I needed X on a Mirage.

excellently; but since XFree does not support Display PostScript, there
is no way to view Sun's answerbooks...

And somehow I was under the impression, if XFree can support this
graphics card it should not be a big problem for a company like SunSoft.

Quote:> Or you buy a graphics card from a vendor that is more reasonable.

Unfortunately, this is not an option for me right now...

[...]

Quote:> Having said this, I still have a way that *might* work for you.

[...]

Thanks very much, but unfortunately the settings you posted didn't
work for me; after starting openwin the screen went black and my
monitor "told" me something about "no signal"...

I played a little bit with the settings from other 964 based boards
and with the "SPEA Mirage P64" configuration, but with no success:
the screen turned either into a pattern of alternating black and white
vertical bars or into a flashing chessboard. At least I could move the
mouse cursor around with some of these configurations...

As of Video Driver Update #10 (and kernel patch 101946-12, not -29 ;-),
OpenWindows obviously won't work with this graphics card.

Just for the records:

SPEA/V7 Mercury P64, 2 MB VRAM, S3 Vision 964 (86C964),
RAMDAC ATT20C505-13

        Torsten

--

                                http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/~torsten/

1. SPEA MERCURY P64 VRAM 2MB PCI DRIVER NEEDED

Hi !

Has someone got such a driver for linux ? Or any other S3 968 compatible
driver list , maybe one of them works for me :)
                        thx in advance , Jubin Zawar :9
                        Ciao

2. X11 on Notebook ??

3. configuration of X with SPEA Mercury P64

4. Where does kab keep its database?

5. xfree86 on SPEA V7/Mercury P64-V

6. xcdroast and DOS file permissions

7. How do I get a SPEA Mercury P64 to work?

8. Help! Need Reverse Engineer Tool

9. XFree3.1 + Spea Mercury P64 PCI

10. Spea Mercury P64

11. How do I get a SPEA Mercury P64 to work?

12. X-driver for SPEA Mercury P64