xconsole can't open /dev/console?

Post by Pete Halvers » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Running XDM on Solaris 2.4, our attempts to redirect output to
/dev/console using xconsole fail with the message "can't open console",
regardless of userid (even fails for root).  The "GiveConsole" and
"TakeConsole" scripts appear to be correct, setting the owner of
/dev/console to be the current user; even changing (temporarily!) the
permissions of /dev/console and every other pseudo-device with "cons" in
its name to be world-readable and -writeable doesn't help.

Any other ideas why /dev/console might be unredirectable (or whether
xconsole is doing something strange?)

Thanks for any suggestions,
pch

Post by Geoffrey D » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Running XDM on Solaris 2.4, our attempts to redirect output to
>/dev/console using xconsole fail with the message "can't open console",
>regardless of userid (even fails for root).  The "GiveConsole" and
>"TakeConsole" scripts appear to be correct, setting the owner of
>/dev/console to be the current user; even changing (temporarily!) the
>permissions of /dev/console and every other pseudo-device with "cons" in
>its name to be world-readable and -writeable doesn't help.
>Any other ideas why /dev/console might be unredirectable (or whether
>xconsole is doing something strange?)
>Thanks for any suggestions,
>pch

I had this problem at one stage and it turned out that root had logged in to
the console BEFORE xdm started. Thus the original root login had control
not XDM. This is probably not your problem but it is worth considering
if another login has the console already.
--

Systems Programmer                Ph    : (002) 20 7415
I.T.S. University of Tasmania