Just a checklist to see if you've missed anything:
1) Start the X-server on your win98 box.
2) Right mouse on the little X icon in the system tray, choose "X-Config"
click on the "Display" tab, see that your correct IP is checked and not
also make sure the Display number is set to 0
click on the "Security" tab and make sure that "Access Control" is
3) telnet/ssh/login to the Unix box
4) sh/ksh: DISPLAY=<win98's IP address in step 2 above>:0; export DISPLAY
csh: setenv DISPLAY <win98's IP address>:0
5) xterm (or /usr/openwin/bin/xterm if it's not already in your path)
If that doesn't work then I would try to determine who's the problem here,
the X-server on your pc (can you open any x-clients from any other systems?)
or something with the DISPLAY setting or something on the unix box (can you
open an X-term from there to any other X-servers?).
Hope this helps,
> I am trying to connect to a Solaris/UNIX-server via my win98 using
> but nomatter what I do I keep getting the anoying message:
> Cant open display <name>:0
> I have tried to alter the display number but at no effect.
> How do I tell the UNIX machine to popup a xterm on my desktop?
1. cant start remote x to linux but can to x-win32
I'm trying to run a simple x app (xterm, emacs, etc) on a solaris box
but displaying it on my rh linux box. I set the display on solaris
box to address of my linuxbox:0.0 then start the x app (xterm &) and I
get a message cannot connect to X server ... I added the address of
the solaris box to xhost by doing xhost solarisboxname but still no
I know it must be something with linux box because i can run emacs and
xterm fin e on my win2k machine with x-win32 by just telneting to
solarisbox and setting display to ip of win2k:0.0 and then running
fresh install of rh7.2. I tried it with kde and gnome thinking that
might be problem but no go
thanx for any help
3. help with X-win32 client software
4. E250 & multiple booting versions of the OS
5. sygate and x-win32 question
7. help with running X-win32 with RedHat 7.0
8. LINUX-SNA : problem with sna tools
9. X-win32 doesn't work for RH 6.1!?
10. help with running X-win32 with RedHat 7.0
11. X-Win32, SSH and Blackbox Desktop?
13. problem with KDE2.x menus on X-Win32 server