md5

Post by Victor Sudako » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:12:26

Colleagues,

What package do I have to add to Solaris9 to be able to compute md5
checksums of files? Something like FreeBSD's /sbin/md5 would do.

Thanks for any input.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN

md5

Post by Dan Foste » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:31:30

> What package do I have to add to Solaris9 to be able to compute md5
> checksums of files? Something like FreeBSD's /sbin/md5 would do.

SUNWkeymg

-Dan

md5

Post by Victor Sudako » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:56:25

>> What package do I have to add to Solaris9 to be able to compute md5
>> checksums of files? Something like FreeBSD's /sbin/md5 would do.

> SUNWkeymg

Where do I find it?
It is not available on the sol-9-u8-ga-sparc-v{1,2}.iso installation CDs.

--

Post by Jean-Louis Liagr » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:07:16

>>>What package do I have to add to Solaris9 to be able to compute md5
>>>checksums of files? Something like FreeBSD's /sbin/md5 would do.

>>SUNWkeymg

> Where do I find it?
> It is not available on the sol-9-u8-ga-sparc-v{1,2}.iso installation CDs.

It should be with SunScreen packages, in the ExtraValue/CoBundled
subdirectory.

md5

Post by Dan Foste » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:15:02

>>> What package do I have to add to Solaris9 to be able to compute md5
>>> checksums of files? Something like FreeBSD's /sbin/md5 would do.

>> SUNWkeymg

> Where do I find it?
> It is not available on the sol-9-u8-ga-sparc-v{1,2}.iso installation CDs.

Hmm, that might actually be a part of SunScreen packages.

You can also get the binary from:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/md5/md5.tar.Z

-Dan

md5

Post by Victor Sudako » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:55:41

> [...]

>>> SUNWkeymg

>> Where do I find it?
>> It is not available on the sol-9-u8-ga-sparc-v{1,2}.iso installation CDs.

> Hmm, that might actually be a part of SunScreen packages.

We did not purchase SunScreen.

Quote:

> You can also get the binary from:

> http://sunsolve.sun.com/md5/md5.tar.Z

Great! Thanks a lot. How did you get to know about this place
(I mean /md5/md5.tar.Z on sunsolve)?

--

Post by Dan Foste » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:30:13

>> Hmm, that might actually be a part of SunScreen packages.

> We did not purchase SunScreen.

There is a free version available for download, SunScreen 3.1 Lite.

But I do not see it available now... hmm. Maybe Sun no longer makes the
free version available.

Quote:>> You can also get the binary from:

>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/md5/md5.tar.Z

> Great! Thanks a lot. How did you get to know about this place
> (I mean /md5/md5.tar.Z on sunsolve)?

It's mentioned at:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/fileFingerprints.pl

For more information on the Solaris Fingerprint Database:

http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=content/content7

-Dan

md5

Post by Dan Foste » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:38:09

>>> Hmm, that might actually be a part of SunScreen packages.

>> We did not purchase SunScreen.

> There is a free version available for download, SunScreen 3.1 Lite.

> But I do not see it available now... hmm. Maybe Sun no longer makes the
> free version available.

My mistake. It is still available, if you are interested in it:

http://www.sun.com/software/securenet/lite/download.xml

Note: Lite version has some differences from the full version.

But most of the functionality from full is also present in Lite.

Only supported for Solaris 8, though. Since it has kernel mode drivers,
I don't think it'll work on Solaris 9 or later.

-Dan

md5

Post by Victor Sudako » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:10:14

>>> http://sunsolve.sun.com/md5/md5.tar.Z

>> Great! Thanks a lot. How did you get to know about this place
>> (I mean /md5/md5.tar.Z on sunsolve)?

> It's mentioned at:

> http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/fileFingerprints.pl

> For more information on the Solaris Fingerprint Database:

> http://sunsolve.sun.com/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=content/content7

Thank you once again.

--

Post by James Carlso » Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:39:44

> What package do I have to add to Solaris9 to be able to compute md5
> checksums of files? Something like FreeBSD's /sbin/md5 would do.

In addition to the SunScreen answer, if you're using Solaris 10, there
are multiple other solutions.  The first is the one that comes with
the system:

  /usr/bin/digest -a md5 <file-path(s)>

The "digest" binary is in SUNWcsu, so it should be on every S10
system.

There's also /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the blastwave bits
installed, and /opt/sfw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the Companion CD
installed.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

md5

Post by Victor Sudako » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:07:02

> There's also /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the blastwave bits
> installed,

To my dismay, CSWtextutils depends on too much *like ggettext
which I would rather not see in my system.

Quote:> and /opt/sfw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the Companion CD
> installed.

I will look at this too, thank you.

--

Post by James Carlso » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 06:18:47

> > There's also /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the blastwave bits
> > installed,

> To my dismay, CSWtextutils depends on too much *like ggettext
> which I would rather not see in my system.

*shrug*

To each his own.  I personally don't care about the bloat because the
simplicity is more important to me, and disk space is really cheap.

But, in any event, I was just trying to list other possible options.
There are many here.  Not all of them will be acceptable to all users.

--

Post by Gary Mill » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:40:45

>> > There's also /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the blastwave bits
>> > installed,

>> To my dismay, CSWtextutils depends on too much *like ggettext
>> which I would rather not see in my system.
>To each his own.  I personally don't care about the bloat because the
>simplicity is more important to me, and disk space is really cheap.

The problem seems to be that too many developers assume that Solaris
doesn't have facilities like `gettext' and `iconv'.  They tell people
to install the GNU versions, even though they are completely
unnecessary.  They even require `libiconv', even though those
functions are included in libc in Solaris.  Some of this
misinformation likely comes from peoples experience with ancient
versions of Solaris.  Modern versions don't have these problems.

--
-Gary Mills-    -Unix Support-    -U of M Academic Computing and Networking-

md5

Post by Victor Sudako » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:21:16

>> > There's also /opt/csw/bin/gmd5sum if you've got the blastwave bits
>> > installed,

>> To my dismay, CSWtextutils depends on too much *like ggettext
>> which I would rather not see in my system.

> *shrug*

> To each his own.  I personally don't care about the bloat because the
> simplicity is more important to me, and disk space is really cheap.

Disk space is one thing, and dependency hell is quite another.
After FreeBSD it looks and feels quite ugly :((

Quote:

> But, in any event, I was just trying to list other possible options.

And thank you very much for that.

--

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:38:14

> Disk space is one thing, and dependency hell is quite another.
> After FreeBSD it looks and feels quite ugly :((

Then build the utility yourself from the GNU textutils source:

[~]$ ldd `which md5sum`
        libgen.so.1 =>   /lib/libgen.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /lib/libnsl.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
        libmp.so.2 =>    /lib/libmp.so.2
        libmd5.so.1 =>   /lib/libmd5.so.1
        libscf.so.1 =>   /lib/libscf.so.1
        libdoor.so.1 =>  /lib/libdoor.so.1
        libuutil.so.1 =>         /lib/libuutil.so.1
        libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2
        /platform/SUNW,Ultra-60/lib/libc_psr.so.1
        /platform/SUNW,Ultra-60/lib/libmd5_psr.so.1

1. Where to find published md5 sums of precompiled packages?

Hi all:

  Is there a place where I can find the published md5 sums of the
ready-to-run packages? I almost always have trouble compiling large
ports. Usually there are md5 sums for the sources, but I can't find
any for the compiled packages.

  Anyhow, I am specifically interrested in the md5 of the most recent
Mesa and xlockmore.

  Thanks a whole bunch!

vector sigma

2. xbru

3. Dumb Question md5 check

4. SunBlade 150 vs Athlon

5. md5

6. Seagate ST41200ND Info wanted

7. Differences in MD5 hash code

8. CD player with via82c686 onboard audio

9. Mixed SHA, MD5 and Crypt Password Authentication

10. md5 and crypt relations???

11. MD5-based crypt() algorithm, how is it implemented

12. Location of MD5 source?

13. md5 crypt function