55 File Manager windows are starting every time I boot Solaris!!!!

55 File Manager windows are starting every time I boot Solaris!!!!

Post by James Bennet » Fri, 25 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have no idea why this is happening, but yesterday I was trying to
eject the CD-Rom, and everything kinda froze up for me in Solaris. Then,
out of nowhere approximately 55 file manager windows came up!!!!!  It
took me about 5-6 minutes to get them all shut down because my system
was on its knees by then. Now, every time I boot into Solaris these same
55 windows open up automatically and I have no idea how to stop them!
I'm using CDE, as my desktop by the way. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance....

Jim

Post by Alexander Rung » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I have no idea why this is happening, but yesterday I was trying to
> eject the CD-Rom, and everything kinda froze up for me in Solaris. Then,
> out of nowhere approximately 55 file manager windows came up!!!!!  It
> took me about 5-6 minutes to get them all shut down because my system
> was on its knees by then. Now, every time I boot into Solaris these same
> 55 windows open up automatically and I have no idea how to stop them!
> I'm using CDE, as my desktop by the way. Can anyone help?
> Thanks in advance....

> Jim

Look up you ~/.openwin-init - you should find the 55 filemanagers there.
Kill vold!!! It's broken anyway.

Alex!!!

1. Solaris/X86 complains on every boot-up about window manager not being setup - how to fix?

I installed X86 on a Pentium machine - everything went well in the install
(I don't remember any weird, unexplained error messages popping up).

Yet, every time I boot it, I get a msg that the window manager isn't setup
right (Enter the root password, etc, etc).  I skip by this prompt and
everything works fine after that.

What to do to make it not do this?  (Note that it is just an annoyance and
only happens when booting; after that everything works fine)

2. Hiding the cursor

3. crontab every 55 days

4. mailinglist

5. I am a frist time ......How to start X Windows?

6. Internet connection through a win 2000 box

7. Multi-boot success with Windows 95, Windows NT 4, Linux, OS/2 boot manager

8. How to install NIS

9. Help FSCK problems every time I boot Solaris 2.5.1

10. DOSEMU 0.63.1.55 in X-windows

11. How to start a program when a Window Manager is started ?

12. App Manager quits every time I open it ?!

13. Start an application in window environment at boot time