Central admin. (/etc/passwd/group/shadow) without NIS

Central admin. (/etc/passwd/group/shadow) without NIS

Post by Gerry Geor » Sat, 03 Dec 1994 18:31:15

I have a number of Sparc 4/65 clients all connected to a central server.
The machines are all running Solaris 2.3.  I would like to maintain central
password and group files for all of the machines on the cnetral server.

Can this be done without using NIS?

I have also tried doing an 'rcp' of the files, but /etc/shadow does not
like to be copied anywhere.  It also does not work with a symlink to the
server's (NFS-mounted) /etc directory.

I do not have enough machines to learn NIS, or to run the additional overhead

Thanks for any help
Gerry George                         | Anything good in life is either
School of Management, Boston Univ.   | illegal, imm*or fattening.

       Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle