Will ST19171WC work with RSM 214?

Post by Keit » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi:
   We are in a desparate need to expand our storage capacity in our RSM
214 Sparc Array. However, we are very short of budget to buy the 9.1GB
drives from our Sun Reseller because it cost twice as much as what we
can get from the disk market.
  We realize that sun uses Seagate's ST19171WC disks for their RSM 214.
Is it possible for us to just go out and buy  the Seagate ST19171WC
disks and install them in our RSM? We actually bought some and tried
them in our RSM 214 and seem to work. What I wonder is if Sun make any
modification to the firmware or logic of the disks that make them
proprietary. We plan to use these generic disks until we get enough
budget to get the "Sun Approved" disks later next year.
   Has anyone have any experience doing the same thing?

Thanks in advance,
Keith