Solaris 2.4 and SUN PPP

Post by Peter Bl » Sun, 14 May 1995 04:00:00

Solaris 2.4, PPP and dynamic addresses

My internet provider changes both source and destination addresses each
time I start a PPP session. At first I thought, like many others, that
SUN PPP is not able to change both source and destination. Later on I found
out that SUN PPP is able to change the destination and NOT the source. Again
later I found out that the source can be changed too. If the source address
of the provider interface is set to 0.0.0.0, it will accept the other peers
address. Based on this experience I wrote two scripts:

        attach <name>
        detach <name>

When I want to start up an PPP session I just type:

        attach pop      # pop stands for point-of-presence

After a while I'm connected and with the help of DNS I can go everywhere.

To stop it:

        detach pop

1.      setup /etc/uucp/Systems and test it with cu -d -L
        In my case:

        cu -d -L Ppop

2.      create or add to /etc/gateways

        norip ipdptp0

3.      Add to /etc/nsswitch.conf

        hosts:  files dns

4.      Put the real internet address of your providers nameserver and
        domainname in /etc/resolv.conf
        In my case:

        nameserver      193.78.240.1
        domain          inter.NL.net

5.      Put in /etc/hosts

        0.0.0.0         void
        192.0.2.1       pop     # just a dummy address

6.      Create the following is /etc/asppp.cf

        ifconfig ipdptp0 plumb void pop down
        path
                inactivity_timeout 0
                interface ipdptp0
                peer_system_name Ppop
                default_route

7.      create script attach

        #!/bin/sh
        detach $1
        ifc_cmd=`egrep "^ifconfig.*$1" /etc/asppp.cf`
        ifc=`echo $ifc_cmd | awk '{print $2}'`
        ifconfig $ifc up
        route add $1 $1 0 >/dev/null
        ping $1
        exit 0

8.      create script detach

        #!/bin/sh
        ifc_cmd=`egrep "^ifconfig.*$1" /etc/asppp.cf`
        ifc=`echo $ifc_cmd | awk '{print $2}'`
        if [ -n "`ifconfig -a | grep $ifc`" ]
        then
                ifconfig $ifc down      # stop provider
                id=`ps -e | grep aspppd | awk '{print $1}'`
                if test -n "$id"
                then
                        kill -1 $id     # stop connection
                fi
                ifconfig $ifc unplumb   # get rid of all routing
        fi
        eval $ifc_cmd
        exit 0

Off you go.

I'm working with up and down and plumb unplumb to avoid errors when using
0.0.0.0 as a address.

E-mail me for improvements or questions.

Good luck,

Peter Blok

Solaris 2.4 and SUN PPP

Post by Nick Bes » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

To Peter Blok,

Thanks for your instructions on ppp and Solaris 2.4. I tried to send you
e-mail about it, but your address bounced. Can you expand on details concerning
how you setup the Systems file? My internet provider wants you to log in,
and then type:

ppp

The provider will respond with an IP address that has been assigned to the
workstation. The modem pool also has a gateway address assigned to it that
will remain the same for each session.

I was able to get the system to log into the provider, but not accept the
IP address. Your script file (attach) adds the IP number to the route table. I
think the number should have been the gateway address (not the address that is
assigned to the calling in workstation?

Please post your reply, since your e-mail address does not seem to work,

Thanks,

Nick Beser
Johns Hopkins University

Solaris 2.4 and SUN PPP

Post by serge burja » Wed, 31 May 1995 04:00:00

>To Peter Blok,

>Thanks for your instructions on ppp and Solaris 2.4. I tried to send you
>e-mail about it, but your address bounced. Can you expand on details concerning
>how you setup the Systems file? My internet provider wants you to log in,
>and then type:

>ppp

>The provider will respond with an IP address that has been assigned to the
>workstation. The modem pool also has a gateway address assigned to it that
>will remain the same for each session.

>I was able to get the system to log into the provider, but not accept the
>IP address. Your script file (attach) adds the IP number to the route table. I
>think the number should have been the gateway address (not the address that is
>assigned to the calling in workstation?

>Please post your reply, since your e-mail address does not seem to work,

Could I trouble you for any info on getting PPP running on Solaris 2.4. I
cannot
find the original reference.

Thanks in advance.

Serge Burjak

Solaris 2.4 and SUN PPP

Post by Harish Pill » Thu, 01 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Could I trouble you for any info on getting PPP running on Solaris 2.4. I
: cannot find the original reference.

For running Asynch PPP on SOl2.4 with a leased line connection, checkout
http://merlion.singnet.com.sg/~harish/howtoppp.html.

Enjoy.
--

Singapore

1. SUN ISDN 1.0.2 and SUN async PPP (Solaris 2.4)

We have been using the PPP package on Solaris 2.4 until now without
any problems over a serial link plus a V.34 modem. When I installed
SUN ISDN 1.0.2, however, the modem hang (i.e. did not answer)
sometimes after using async PPP (I have not tested ISDN yet). The
reason is, that SUN ISDN replaces the ppp program and ipdp* files
under /usr/kernel. So it seems, that SUN ISDN is not compatible with
async PPP. Is this correct? Is there a patch for it or will it work
under Solaris 2.5?
--

Institut fr Rechnergesttzte   fax. +49 511 762-9712
Wissensverarbeitung             tel. +49 511 762-9710

2. Supplementing my last post....

3. Info required - PPP info & patches for SUN Solaris 2.4

4. IP Multipathing: Always trys to use default router address for test

5. PPP on Sun Solaris 2.4 Problem

6. POSIX directory recursion. Why doesn't this work?

7. PPP connection to Sun/Solaris 2.4 workstation

8. RHCE Certification Exam

9. NT PPP <---> Solaris 2.4 PPP kills sparc station !!!!!!!

10. Trumpet Winsock 2.0B PPP and Solaris 2.4 x86 PPP

11. Solaris 2.4 PPP server page faults with Microsoft PPP clients

12. PPP problems on Solaris 2.4/Morningstar PPP

13. Solaris 7 v Solaris 2.4 on SUN Classic