How to find all hidden file on Unix, and how can i find hidden process?

How to find all hidden file on Unix, and how can i find hidden process?

counld anyone answer me?

Post by Shao W » Sun, 26 May 2002 13:35:49

> counld anyone answer me?

man ls

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Mon, 27 May 2002 18:33:23

>> counld anyone answer me?

> man ls

Or if someone did something seriously strange, man ncheck
for the missing files.

As for processes, the only way they can be hidden is if ps and
probably ultimately procfs have been hacked (the latter would take
a reboot to implement).

--

Post by Tony Walt » Tue, 28 May 2002 19:07:49

> counld anyone answer me?

There's really no such thing as a "hidden file" in Unix.  Commands
such as ls and file managers follow a convention that files with names
starting with "." are not normally listed, but there is no "hidden"
attribute understood by the OS (as there is in DOS).

To force ls to list files starting with ".", use the -a option
(standing for "all).  YMMV for GUI-based file listing utilities.  Most
of them will have a "list hidden files" button, which really means
"list files whose names begin with '.'".

To find all files whose names start with ".", use something like

find . -name ".*" ! \( -name .. -o -name . \)

As for "hidden process" I have no idea what you mean by that.

--
Tony

How to find all hidden file on Unix, and how can i find hidden process?

Post by Chris Thomps » Tue, 28 May 2002 23:33:04

[...]

Quote:

>To find all files whose names start with ".", use something like

>find . -name ".*" ! \( -name .. -o -name . \)

That's overkill, as find always skips "." and ".." in directories.

  find ./ -name ".*"

will work fine, with the trailing "/" there just to stop find listing
"." itself at the top level.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

How to find all hidden file on Unix, and how can i find hidden process?

Post by Ma Huijua » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 11:55:00

To find hidden file: ls -a
What is hidden process? ps -ef can find any process.