Easy way to migrate boot disk?

Post by Steve Costara » Sun, 05 May 2002 12:02:36

Anyone have any pointers as to an easy way to migrate a boot disk?

I have a U10 w/ a 9GB drive and want to move all data/partitions et al to a
20GB drive (basically
rip out the old one).  The partitions will not be the same size except for
root & swap.   I do not
want to re-install.

I can dd root, do I need to do anything fancy to get the boot block (ie,
first 512bytes or whatever to
bootstrap the disk to the new 20gb?).

Since /usr is a partition anything fancy on copying over that structure w/
the libraries?   Or any gotchas?

Steve

Easy way to migrate boot disk?

Post by John D Groenve » Sun, 05 May 2002 12:33:17

Just did something similar on an x86 box.

install the new drive
boot single-user
format(1M)
newfs(1M)
mount /dev/dsk/c0d1s0 /mnt
ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0|(cd /mnt;ufsrestore xf -)
installboot(1M)

John

Post by Toshio Kumaga » Sun, 05 May 2002 14:24:39

> Just did something similar on an x86 box.

> install the new drive
> boot single-user
> format(1M)
> newfs(1M)
> mount /dev/dsk/c0d1s0 /mnt
> ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0|(cd /mnt;ufsrestore xf -)
> installboot(1M)

        Yup, John is right if you only replace HDD in your box.
        But if you are going to boot off from SCSI HDDs, some
        more steps are required to create device path for the
        SCSI HBA and HDDs, then re-write /etc/vfstab.

--
                        *** Save Solaris x86 ***
  Toshio Kumagai        TK2959 / TK127-AP

Easy way to migrate boot disk?

Post by Steve Costara » Mon, 06 May 2002 02:45:24

Thanks, that's what I thought wasn't sure if anything funky would crop up
though.  Thanks!

Steve

> Just did something similar on an x86 box.

> install the new drive
> boot single-user
> format(1M)
> newfs(1M)
> mount /dev/dsk/c0d1s0 /mnt
> ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0|(cd /mnt;ufsrestore xf -)
> installboot(1M)

> John

1. Any easy ways to replicate files accross Solaris 2 servers?

Hi,

I am looking for a [non NFS] means to replicate files between two servers.
The reason I don't
want to use NFS is that I want the files to exist in both servers in the
event one is down (and
I don't want to rely on another machine either).

I am looking for something better than a rcp or auto-ftp. I believe there
is commercially
available software, but wondered if there was an easier way.

I want it to perform file locking, so an update to one file will lock the
peers file then update it,
before releasing the lock when the file update is finished.

Too much to ask?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

2. NetBSD Help?

3. 3 easy ?s X/boot disk/netscape

4. RH6.1 hangs during install after detecting my mouse

5. migrate Solaris 8 disk from old to new disk partitions with Disksuite

6. Error when trying to mount Win 2000 share in Linux - Red Hat 7.3

7. "Migrating to Linux not easy for Windows users"

8. DATAGRAM sockets in the UNIX DOMAIN.

9. easy easy easy one

10. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

11. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

12. copy boot disc to a replacement boot disc -

13. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk