SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address (please help)

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address (please help)

Post by Roger Luet » Wed, 02 Jul 1997 04:00:00

i've posted this question in comp.sys.sun.admin some days ago -
without success yet.

i've assigned quite a lot of logical interfaces to a physical ethernet
interface on a sparc runnig solaris 2.5. now i've come to a limit. the
system has apparently run out of something, but i can't guess what.
the message i get is:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: le0:28: Cannot assign requested address

when i try to:

/usr/sbin/ifconfig le0:28 194.191.88.191 up netmask 255.255.255.224
broadcast 194.191.88.255 -trailers

this happens when i try to assign this very number 28 or any number
above. i couldn't find any limitations mentioned in the dox, and i
personally think that 28 is a weird number to have a limit set at. i'd
rather expect a magic number like 32 or something.

can anyone help, please?

roger luethi

I'm using this address in news groups only. Just to keep my main e-mail
account spam-free. Go http://hellgate.ch/address.html if you'd like to
know my 'real' address.

SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address (please help)

Post by Roger Luet » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

the problem is solved. it was a multi-part solution, but the big (and
embarrassing) mistake was that 191 is the broadcast addres in its
subnet.

roger luethi