Sparc 5/Solaris 2.4 TCP/IP Problem with SL/IP connections

Sparc 5/Solaris 2.4 TCP/IP Problem with SL/IP connections

Post by Bob Dool » Mon, 27 Mar 1995 07:38:06

I am having a problem on my Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4
when I connect via SL/IP via a Cisco 2511 Router.

The problem is anytime I have to transact with the Sun
(for mail via Eudora, news via Newswatcher etc, etc and
even when I access the Web server on the Sun) these
trasactions slow to a halt.  I had heard that there was
some way you could set the TCP/IP timing to better handle
the slower connections.  Anyone got any info on this?

Thanks in advance.

-bob

http://www.dwx.com/~bob/

Post by Greg Lehma » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 22:33:46

>I am having a problem on my Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4
>when I connect via SL/IP via a Cisco 2511 Router.
>The problem is anytime I have to transact with the Sun
>(for mail via Eudora, news via Newswatcher etc, etc and
>even when I access the Web server on the Sun) these
>trasactions slow to a halt.  I had heard that there was
>some way you could set the TCP/IP timing to better handle
>the slower connections.  Anyone got any info on this?

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_path_mtu_discovery 0

fixed it for me although we have wellfleets not ciscos.
--
Greg Lehmann,
CSIRO Division of Manufacturing Technology,   Telephone: +61 7 212 4537

1. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

After 386BSD 0.1 came out I lost sight of Linux for a while and now
came back for a second look. Got the SLS distribution and installed it
on a Syquest 88MB removable hooked up to an Adaptec 1542. The version
seems to be SLS 0.98.1. The kernel sources wouldn't install on the
first run, because there was a phony symlink called /usr/src/linux in
some archive, which meant that a directory of the same name couldn't
be created. Now I went after X. Got my Xconfig and various dot files
from 386BSD and tried to run X. I got a complaint from the X server
that it couldn't open a TCP/IP socket. DISPLAY was set to :0 and I
tried unix:0, too, but the server still seemed to insist on a TCP/IP
transport. I was in a hurry to get it to work, so I tried including
TCP/IP in the kernel, however some include files seem to be missing in
the SLS distribution.

Questions:

1. Does XFree86 for Linux REALLY want a TCP/IP transport (that should
be soo much slower than Unix domain sockets or shared memory queues)?

2. Where can I get a TCP/IP distribution that includes all needed
files?

3. What's EFS (just highlights)?

Thanks for your time.
---

Wielandstr. 4      |

+49-30-851-50-21   |

2. network card!

3. Solaris 2.5.1 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.6 TCP/IP

4. Please Help w/Freeing up RAM?

5. SL/IP Driver for TCP/IP. Wanna help?

6. Why two kernels in Slackware release?

7. ipfw (IP Firewall), proxy and IP routing on Solaris 2.4

8. NEWBIE ALERT !!

9. IP Service 'ntp' (number 123 - Network Time Protocol) for SPARC Solaris 2.4?

10. TCP/IP RPC on Solaris 2.4 and Sybase 10.0

11. TCP/IP RPC with Solaris 2.4 and Sybase 10.0

12. Why the TCP/IP socket hang up in my SS 20 running Solaris 2.4 ?

13. TCP/IP configuration procedure in Solaris 2.4