"Cisco's and RPC", or "Booting suns from off-subnet servers"

"Cisco's and RPC", or "Booting suns from off-subnet servers"

Post by Dan Strombe » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Please e-mail, and I'll summarize.

We're reaping great maintenance benefit from "autoinstalling" sun
workstations.  This procedure requires a diskless boot for greatest
payoff.

Booting a sun diskless from a machine on the same subnet isn't too
hard.  Booting a sun diskless from a machine on another subnet
(bridging isn't an option - don't ask) is proving harder.  We're going
to remain stuck with some machines that are, for the sake of this
discussion, alone on a subnet.

So far, we've got rarp and tftp packets forwarding nicely (they use
only reserved ports), but still need at least bootparams, and possibly
NIS (these are RPC-based, and hence aren't guaranteed to use the same
port from session to session).

One possibility would be (I suppose) to see if autoinstall's rpcbind
always maps the same source ports for these two services - but I'd
rather get the cisco inspecting the portmap service (aka "rpcbind"
service) if at all possible.  Has anyone done this?

Our cisco's run IOS 10.2(4) - or the recently (re)installed ones do,
anyway.