file larger than 2GB

Post by Ensoul Che » Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:38:56

I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
will stop working.

file larger than 2GB

Post by Joe Blogg » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 02:45:23

Quote:> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file
cannot
> be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole
system
> will stop working.

Sure you've got the filesystem mounted with 'largefiles' enabled?  See
/etc/vfstab.

file larger than 2GB

Post by Manwe Sulim » Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:57:19

> > I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems
such
> > as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file
> cannot
> > be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole
> system
> > will stop working.

> Sure you've got the filesystem mounted with 'largefiles' enabled?  See
> /etc/vfstab.

And make sure you utilities are "large-file" capable.  The OS and filesystem
may be, and then . . .

file larger than 2GB

Post by Tony Walto » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:08:14

> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6.

No you're not.  You're using Solaris 2.6, and you're using SunOS 5.6

Quote:> We have faced such problems such
> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
> be larger than 2GB,

tar is listed as being "largefile aware" on the largefile(5) manpage, so
should work with archives (which is what I take you to mean by "existing
operating file") larger than 2GB.  I'm not sure about rdist, however.

If you're using the standard Solaris 2.6 tar you shouldn't be seeing
this problem, as long as the filesystem you're writing to supports files
larger than 2GB. So question 1, is this a UFS filesystem mounted with
the "largefiles" option? ("largefiles" is the default).  Question 2, if
this isn't a UFS filesystem what is it? If it's an NFS filesystem
resident as UFS on an OS older than 5.6 then it will not be largefile
aware, for example.  If it's tmpfs it won't be largefile aware (you
don't get largefiles in tmpfs on a 32bit OS).  IIRC you have to do thigs
to VxFS to make it allow files larger than 2GB.

Quote:> and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
> will stop working.

This bit doesn't make sense at all. Please be more specific as to what
the problem is that's "stopping the whole system working".

--
Tony

file larger than 2GB

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:29:40

> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
> be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
> will stop working.

        The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      Man's gotta earn a living.

file larger than 2GB

Post by Tony Walto » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:42:11

>> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems
>> such
>> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file
>> cannot
>> be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole
>> system
>> will stop working.

>     The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
> environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

>         Hope this helps,
>             Don

Not really, given that it contains not one but two factual errors and an
implied connection between two (erroneous) facts that doesn't exist.

But thanks for trying.

--
Tony

file larger than 2GB

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:45:37

>>> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems
>>> such
>>> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file
>>> cannot
>>> be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole
>>> system
>>> will stop working.

>>     The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
>> environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

>>         Hope this helps,
>>             Don

> Not really, given that it contains not one but two factual errors and an
> implied connection between two (erroneous) facts that doesn't exist.

        Actually it is entirely factual, my confused young friend.

Quote:> But thanks for trying.

        No problem.  I always enjoy educating the ignorant.

        Happy to have cleared things up for you,
                        Don

--

Post by Joerg Schilli » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:50:59

>> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
>> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
>> be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
>> will stop working.

>    The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
>environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

The problem - my drunk friend - is not the operating system but the application
software. It is most likely caused by the fact that GNU tar calls itself "tar".
Putting /opt/GNU* or whatever before /usr/bin in the PATH may cause severe
problems, specially if you use old versions of the GNU tools. Verify by cheking
if tar --version works.

        In hope to finally cleared things up for you, but in future stay away
        from Jack Daniels. If you do not constantly repeate false claims,
        you may even have friends and do not need Jack Daniels anymore.

--

file larger than 2GB

Post by Scott Howar » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:25:37

>> I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
>> as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
>> be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
>> will stop working.

>        The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
> environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

Congratulations Rev, you finally got one right! Solaris 2.6/SunOS 5.6
really isn't a 64 bit OS! Nobody has ever claimed it was.
(Of course, that doesn't mean it can't handle files > 2Gb)

  Scott.

file larger than 2GB

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:22:07

>>>I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
>>>as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
>>>be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
>>>will stop working.

>>        The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
>>environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

> The problem - my drunk friend - is not the operating system but the application
> software.

        Actually Georgie, the problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit
operating environment.  That's why it has such problems with 2GB files.

        [...off-topic discussion of problems
        with GNU software snipped...]

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:22:55

>>>I am using Sun's Solaris 32, version 5.6. We have faced such problems such
>>>as when using commands as tar, rdist etc. the existing operating file cannot
>>>be larger than 2GB, and so if the file is larger than 2GB, the whole system
>>>will stop working.
>>       The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
>>environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.
> Congratulations Rev, you finally got one right! Solaris 2.6/SunOS 5.6
> really isn't a 64 bit OS! Nobody has ever claimed it was.
> (Of course, that doesn't mean it can't handle files > 2Gb)

        Try to VI one.

                Hope this helps,
                        Don

--
***************************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD           *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***************************      "Outlaw Josey Wales"

file larger than 2GB

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:55:15

Quote:>>>       The problem is that SOLARIS isn't really a 64-bit operating
>>>environment.  That's why it has problems with 2GB files.

>> Congratulations Rev, you finally got one right! Solaris 2.6/SunOS 5.6
>> really isn't a 64 bit OS! Nobody has ever claimed it was.
>> (Of course, that doesn't mean it can't handle files > 2Gb)

>    Try to VI one.

Nice joke!

Try to run vi with files > 2 GB (or even > 500 MB) on any platform.....
VI is not largefile ready even if it has been compiled to be
large file aware.

Try VI even on your False 64 bit platform called True 64.

If you like to edit large files, you need an editor that has been designed
to edit large files (e.g. VED).

        ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/ved   (Sources)

        http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php (Installable packages)

--

file larger than 2GB

Post by Attila Fehe » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:18:26

>> Congratulations Rev, you finally got one right! Solaris 2.6/SunOS 5.6
>> really isn't a 64 bit OS! Nobody has ever claimed it was.
>> (Of course, that doesn't mean it can't handle files > 2Gb)

> Try to VI one.

It seem I am lagging behind on new developments in terminology.  Since when
vi is considered to be part of the operating system?

file larger than 2GB

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 07:47:01

>>>Congratulations Rev, you finally got one right! Solaris 2.6/SunOS 5.6
>>>really isn't a 64 bit OS! Nobody has ever claimed it was.
>>>(Of course, that doesn't mean it can't handle files > 2Gb)

>>Try to VI one.

> It seem I am lagging behind on new developments in terminology.  Since when
> vi is considered to be part of the operating system?

        Apparently you are lagging behind.  Since when is SOLARIS an operating
system?

                        Hope this helps,
                                Don

--
***************************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald, SCNA *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD           *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***************************      "Outlaw Josey Wales"

file larger than 2GB

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:31:46

The irrational and irascible "Rev. Donnie Kook" belched:

Quote:> Apparently you are lagging behind.  Since when is SOLARIS an operating
> system?

        Speaking of lagging behinds, have you have your sphincter operation
        yet?

-am     ? 2003

1. Writing files larger than 2GB from AIX to Solaris

We have a Solaris 2.6 NFS server, and some AIX 4.2 clients. The problem
is that we cannot write files to NFS-mounted filesystems larger than
2GB. Here is an excerpt from an email I got on the subject by one of
our programmers:

   I ran several tests yesterday trying to write a file over 2 GB from
   an SP2 system running AIX 4.2 to an NFS mounted disk on a Solaris
   2.6 server.  (I used a stand alone utility to do this to make life
   simpler.) The tests failed.  I opened the file using the following
   code segment

      ofd = open(fid_out, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_LARGEFILE, 0777);

   and I used llseek() to set the file offset and write() to write as
   follows:

      llseek(ofd, soff, SEEK_SET);
      write(ofd, buf, bsz);

   I am not sure what to tell you.  I have used the same program to
   write files over 2GB from an AIX client to an AIX server using NFS;
   I have done the same from solaris client to solaris server using NFS
   (except that I did NOT use the O_LARGEFILE flag).  This is a
   question for the folks at IBM (I will pass this along to them as
   well).  I just spoke to one of our IBM representives and he
   suggested the possibility that AIX goes into a conservative mode of
   operation (i.e., using only the lowest common denominator so as to
   be safe) when it tries to talk to a non-AIX NFS server.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem (and possible
solution or workaround) might be?

Thanks in advance. Email cc's appreciated.

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin

2. Problem with UDMA33 on Alladin

3. Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

4. triple boot not finding linux red hat 7.1

5. Files larger than 2Gb

6. Problem with Patch?

7. help! taring files larger than 2GB!

8. samba works using ip address but cannot resolve netbios name?

9. Files larger than 2GB (Was Re: ftell/fseek vs. fsetpos/fgetpos)

10. large files (larger than 2GB)?

11. Problems taring up files larger than 2GB on Solaris 8

12. What happens if files are >2GB on a 2GB NFS mount?

13. Need to create a partition larger than 2GB