ttymon on console, Sunray server

Post by Chris D. Halverso » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 13:12:37

When trying to login on the console of our Sunray server, we get the
following:

  Warning -- ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on "/dev/console",
             there may be another session active on this port.

lsof doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, at least not compared
to other machines that do work. I'm guessing it has something to do
with the Sunray software. The server is running dtlogin so that it can
serve up the login screen to the Sunray devices. Could that be the
issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, see web page for key    http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/

ttymon on console, Sunray server

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 14:45:31

Quote:>When trying to login on the console of our Sunray server, we get the
>following:

>  Warning -- ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on "/dev/console",
>             there may be another session active on this port.

>lsof doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, at least not compared
>to other machines that do work. I'm guessing it has something to do
>with the Sunray software. The server is running dtlogin so that it can
>serve up the login screen to the Sunray devices. Could that be the
>issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is your console an RS232 port?  If so, then dtlogin should not be
running on it.

This often happens when a server is installed using a screen and
keyboard plugged in, then it's moved to a rack and the screen/keyb
removed.  Dtlogin was configured by the install to run on the
console, but the console is no longer a graphics terminal.
Meanwhile, dtlogin prevents ttymon from using the port properly
and ttymon's complaints show up on /dev/console.

  -Greg

                -- Thomas Edison

ttymon on console, Sunray server

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:18:22

[Greg Andrews]

Quote:>   Is your console an RS232 port?  If so, then dtlogin should not be
>   running on it.

dtlogin should be running, or else those SunRays will be unhappy.

Instead, comment out the entry for :0 in /etc/dt/config/Xservers

Kjetil T.

ttymon on console, Sunray server

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 04:45:26

Quote:>[Greg Andrews]

>>   Is your console an RS232 port?  If so, then dtlogin should not be
>>   running on it.

>dtlogin should be running, or else those SunRays will be unhappy.

I didn't say dtlogin should be stopped.  I said dtlogin should
not be running on an RS232 console.

  -Greg
--

Why does man kill?  He kills for food.  And not only food: frequently
there must be a beverage.      -- Woody Allen, "Without Feathers"

ttymon on console, Sunray server

Post by Chris D. Halverso » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:38:15

Quote:> Instead, comment out the entry for :0 in /etc/dt/config/Xservers

OK, tried that and rebooted (just to make sure), same deal. I now see:

 #   Before making changes to the file, should copy it to the configuration
 #   directory, /etc/dt/config.

Check there and see:

   1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           35 Nov  1 11:38 /etc/dt/config/Xservers -> /tmp/SUNWut/config/xconfig/Xservers

Damn, it's being rewritten w/ the Sunray software. Gotta check the
docs some more. We're on the right track, just need to dig in a bit
more. Thanks for the help so far.

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, see web page for key    http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/

ttymon on console, Sunray server

Post by Chris D. Halverso » Sat, 04 Nov 2000 04:13:47

Quote:> [Greg Andrews]

> >   Is your console an RS232 port?  If so, then dtlogin should not be
> >   running on it.

> dtlogin should be running, or else those SunRays will be unhappy.

> Instead, comment out the entry for :0 in /etc/dt/config/Xservers

OK, we figured it out. We commented out the :0 entry and it didn't
work. We came to find out that sac(1M) was controlling ttya for some
reason. We removed that and life was good.

Thanks for the hints!

cdh

--
Chris D. Halverson                         Complete Internet Solutions
PGP mail accepted, see web page for key    http://www.CompleteIS.com/~cdh/

1. ttymon error:ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on /dev/console

I can't at the moment make a console login to my Sun Solaris 2.7 box,
but only login remotely by way of ssh or rlogin.
    If I try to make a console login, it gives the following messages:

        Warning -- ttymon cannot allocate controlling tty on
"/dev/console". There may be another session active on this port.

Have any one got any ideas for the solution to this problem?

--
S?ren V. Carlsen (Teknisk ansvarlig for den elektroniske
pligtaflevering)

Hjemme-adresse (Home):
============
S?ren V. Carlsen
Gammel Kongevej 142, 1. tv
DK-1850 Frederiksberg C
tlf: 33 31 45 49

non omnia possumus omnes
Macrobius Saturnalia VI, 1, 35

2. doors in solaris

3. Console ttymon problem.

4. ATM device driver

5. ttymon cannot be respawned for /dev/console

6. apache, cookie-log

7. Solaris 2.3 console ttymon not getting started

8. How to ftp a directory recursively without manually changing the permission of all files?

9. sol2.6 - ttymon not allowing console logins

10. multiple ttymons on console?

11. switching console from ttya to monitor/mouse -- ttymon dying

12. console login problem (ttymon)

13. Will Opteron based Sun servers support the SunRay Server Software?