DLPI Stream Pseudo Driver Problem

Post by Frederic Barnab » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

        We develop a DLPI Stream Pseudo Driver to simulate a subnetwork of
machines as Unix process on Solaris. The goal is to have a subnetwork
managed by the pseudo-driver installed using the ifconfig command, and
passing ethernet frame to Unix process.

        But we encounter some major problems.

        The installation of the driver using add_drv moose is ok (this is the
name of our pseudo driver). This device is NOT a clone device. We launch
a demon which open the stream to have the stream permanently open.

        Now  we use ifconfig moose0 plumb to install the interface. The driver
receive DLPI Request ATTACH_REQ, INFO_REQ and all seems ok.

        BUT ifconfig (plumb_one_device from ifconfig.c) never ends. Here are
what truss command shows :

open("/dev/moose",O_REDONLY) =5
ioctl(5,I_PUSH,"ip") = 0
ioctl(5,0x80047336,0xEFFFF7C8) = 0
ioctl(5,0xC0206911,0x0002B010) = 0
open("/dev/moose",O_RDONLY) = 6
ioctl(6, I_PUSH, "arp") = 0
ioctl(5,I_PUSH,"arp")  (sleeping...)

The PUSH of module arp never end. I have no idea why. Is it because my
device is not clonable ?

seen this problem before or if you can help us on any way. Thanks in
advance.

Frederic BARNABE
Sema Group Telecom

DLPI Stream Pseudo Driver Problem

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>    We develop a DLPI Stream Pseudo Driver to simulate a subnetwork of
>machines as Unix process on Solaris. The goal is to have a subnetwork
>managed by the pseudo-driver installed using the ifconfig command, and
>passing ethernet frame to Unix process.
>The PUSH of module arp never end. I have no idea why. Is it because my
>device is not clonable ?

I don't know the answer to your question, but you could try adding
option -arp to your ifconfig.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer