Max number inodes/filesystem Solaris 2.7

Max number inodes/filesystem Solaris 2.7

Post by Red Valse » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:02:21

I know that default inode size is variable with the mkfs command in
Solaris 2.7, but what is the maximum number of inodes I can create per
filesystem?  We're upgrading a server from 4 GB to 18 GB drives (and
using RAID) in order to gain more space per filesystem.

Post by D. Roc » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:42:40

> I know that default inode size is variable with the mkfs command in
> Solaris 2.7, but what is the maximum number of inodes I can create per
> filesystem?  We're upgrading a server from 4 GB to 18 GB drives (and
> using RAID) in order to gain more space per filesystem.

inodes are stored on disk as 32 bit numbers. It seems to be interpreted
as a signed number, so the practical limit should be 2^31 - some reserved
inode numbers (e.g. 2 for the fs root, 3 for lost+found, etc.)

--
Daniel

Max number inodes/filesystem Solaris 2.7

mercy bocoo, Rockman