Connecting a PC to a Solaris 2.5 Network

Connecting a PC to a Solaris 2.5 Network

Post by Randy Brandenbur » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have a need to attach a MSWindows95 PC to a Solaris 2.5 network. Is there
a quick way to do this ?

I need a way to transfer files from Solaris net to the PC.

Can I use the direct-connection through the ethernet card on the PC ?

I have tried setting up Network Properties on the PC, but I am assuming that
the client used to communicate with the Solaris network should be something
other  than "Microsoft Client for Networks".

I have also tried to ftp and telnet to the Solaris server directly but have
no luck reaching it.

The PC's has a 3com 3C5x compatible card using a RJ-45 cable connected to
the Solaris' network ethernet hub.

Any help is apreciated...

RB

Connecting a PC to a Solaris 2.5 Network

Post by JDV- » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

If the Solaris is running TCP/IP networking, then
you should set TCP/IP on the Windows machine,
give it an IP address, DNS and gateway. Once that
is done with, try to ping the Solaris from the PC and
vice versa, if that does not work, then something is wrong,
but if you ping each other and they come back alive, then
you can use ftp. That's the simplest and easier to us.

Good luck.

JDV

Post by Bob » Mon, 08 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have a need to attach a MSWindows95 PC to a Solaris 2.5 network. Is there
> a quick way to do this ?

No that should work fine if you setup the wintel box correctly. Just use
TCP/IP and a correct IP address and subnet mask. If you are going to
connect it directly to the SUN box you have to use a hub of sorts or use
a crossover cable.

Bob

Post by Martin Hepwort » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have a need to attach a MSWindows95 PC to a Solaris 2.5 network. Is there
> a quick way to do this ?

> I need a way to transfer files from Solaris net to the PC.

> Can I use the direct-connection through the ethernet card on the PC ?

> I have tried setting up Network Properties on the PC, but I am assuming that
> the client used to communicate with the Solaris network should be something
> other  than "Microsoft Client for Networks".

> I have also tried to ftp and telnet to the Solaris server directly but have
> no luck reaching it.

> The PC's has a 3com 3C5x compatible card using a RJ-45 cable connected to
> the Solaris' network ethernet hub.

> Any help is apreciated...

> RB

Randy
a few ways of doing this...
all rely on having TCP/IP working on the PC..

1) use FTP to move the files around..
2) install SAMBA (www.samba.org) on the SUN so the SUN box can act a a
M$ file server.
3) install NFS on on the PC and use the PC a client to the SUN's file
systems.

From past experience I'd go for option 2 as it's cheap (the softwares
free) and reliable and requires little or no changes to the PC.

Martin Hepworth