boot -s

Post by Vinod Meno » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 Hello:
We are having problems booting our Ultrasparc running Solaris 2.6. When
we boot with "boot -s" option, it still tries to mount remote
filesystems and hangs up.

  I have booted with "boot -s" before but never seen this problem
before.

  Please CC me any solution.

    Thanks alot,
       Vinod

boot -s

Post by rg.. » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

:  Hello:
: We are having problems booting our Ultrasparc running Solaris 2.6. When
: we boot with "boot -s" option, it still tries to mount remote
: filesystems and hangs up.

:   I have booted with "boot -s" before but never seen this problem
: before.

:   Please CC me any solution.

:     Thanks alot,
:        Vinod

Does it boot normally w/o -s or not?

Could be due to wrong syntax/entires in /etc/vfstab.
Check it carefully.

-Raman

boot -s

Post by Garry Garre » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hello:
>We are having problems booting our Ultrasparc running Solaris 2.6. When
>we boot with "boot -s" option, it still tries to mount remote
>filesystems and hangs up.

>  I have booted with "boot -s" before but never seen this problem
>before.

Try doing a "boot cdrom -s" and then mount the root filesystem and
look over /etc/rcS.d to make sure that something didn't get copied
or moved from /etc/rc2.d (that's where you sould see an nfs.client
startup file that mounts remote mount points).

In single user mode, you should not be able to do NFS mounts (I think).
While you are at it, fsck the root partition of your hard drive.

Garry J. Garrett
CSG Systems, Inc.      ._o    see my homepage for a "mailto:" tag
2525 North 117th Ave.    |>   to send me e-mail...
Mailstop 2-A             4
Omaha, NE 68164-3679

CSG Systems  - http://www.csgsys.com/
CSG Internal - http://intranet/unixops/
My Homepage  - http://monarch.papillion.ne.us/~ggarrett

I do not speak in any capacity on behalf of CSG Systems.
I get into enough trouble speaking for myself.

1. diskless boot hit error while booting kernel, cannot find boot device, dhcp problem?

Hi people, wonder if you could help me on this:

i have two redhat 7.1 machine, one trying to boot off the other
through etherboot. Everythign goes fine, the client boots, retreat the
kernel off the server through tftp, and starting the kernel. Then it
stopped with error messages:
.
.
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

kdb >
.
.
Where do I append a "root=" option? is it a dhcp problem? in
/etc/dhcpd.conf, i did put in

 option root-path "/boothome";

along with the other options. also, when tagging the kernel image, i
also have rootdir option:
mknbi-linux zImage --output=kernel --rootdir=/boothome

nfs export is correct, i have no idea where i did wrong.

any clue?

thanks in advance.
Paul G

2. telnet session dies when using X

3. LILO saved boot file /boot/boot.0301

4. No virtual screen at different sizes

5. Boot x86 boot enhancements, boot parameters 1/9

6. RH users please secure your machine

7. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

8. Adaptec 29160N SCSI Card?

9. renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

10. RH6 "Boot failed" from boot disk

11. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

12. can't boot 'boot.flp' version 2.2.5

13. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX