Q: Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL adapter that works with 3rd-party FC-AL disks?

Q: Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL adapter that works with 3rd-party FC-AL disks?

Post by David A. Let » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello:

Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL host adapter with Solaris support?  I
know that sun does, but I have heard that it only works with their
Fibre-channel RAID systems.  This is definately the case with their
PCI product.  If I am wrong and SUN's SBUS product works well with all
non-SUN hardware, then I would like to know that as well.

I would also appreciate any comments on how the card performs, and
anything else a prospective user would like to know.

- manufacturer responses are quite welcome, but disk subsystem
solictors would be wasting their time <grin>

Thanks
David A. Lethe
Compass
972-208-0905

Q: Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL adapter that works with 3rd-party FC-AL disks?

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello:

>Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL host adapter with Solaris support?  I
>know that sun does, but I have heard that it only works with their
>Fibre-channel RAID systems.  This is definately the case with their
>PCI product.  If I am wrong and SUN's SBUS product works well with all
>non-SUN hardware, then I would like to know that as well.

Well, I use the internal (SBus) FC_AL sockets from E3500 I/O board
successfully to generic seagate FC_AL disks internally mounted..
Works great..

Fredrik

Q: Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL adapter that works with 3rd-party FC-AL disks?

Post by David A. Let » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>>Hello:

>>Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL host adapter with Solaris support?  I
>>know that sun does, but I have heard that it only works with their
>>Fibre-channel RAID systems.  This is definately the case with their
>>PCI product.  If I am wrong and SUN's SBUS product works well with all
>>non-SUN hardware, then I would like to know that as well.

>Well, I use the internal (SBus) FC_AL sockets from E3500 I/O board
>successfully to generic seagate FC_AL disks internally mounted..
>Works great..

>Fredrik

Did the supplied drivers allow you to manipulate all of the FC-AL
setting?  In case of SUN's PCI (or more correctly the card sun OEMs
from Q-LOGIC) card, you only get the real drivers and libraries with
the A5000 FC-AL array.  After working with the SUN PCI drivers, we
were able to get 3rd party RAID to work, but performance was awful,
because the configuration was not changeable.

Since this posting, I learned that EMULEX has a pretty decent SBUS
board, but it is more expensive.

Thanks for the info.

Q: Does anybody make an SBUS FC-AL adapter that works with 3rd-party FC-AL disks?

Post by g.. » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

        I couldn't get the Sun FCAL adapters to work with a Xiotech Magnitude
disk array.  I bought a JNI UltraFibre card and it worked fine.  Can't remember
their web page but I'm sure a web search would turn it up.

Quote:> Hello:

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>>Well, I use the internal (SBus) FC_AL sockets from E3500 I/O board
>>successfully to generic seagate FC_AL disks internally mounted..
>>Works great..

>>Fredrik

>Did the supplied drivers allow you to manipulate all of the FC-AL
>setting?  In case of SUN's PCI (or more correctly the card sun OEMs
>from Q-LOGIC) card, you only get the real drivers and libraries with
>the A5000 FC-AL array.  After working with the SUN PCI drivers, we
>were able to get 3rd party RAID to work, but performance was awful,
>because the configuration was not changeable.

Hmm.. I only connected a bunch of disks to the two FC_AL ports so I
wouldn't know if can 'manipulate all of the FC-AL settings'..
If you have a third party raid box I guess you'll need some sort of
configuration tool, but for me, Volume manager and a buch of disks
works OK.
Since the FC_AL ports are built in to several larger Suns, the
device-drivers better be bundled in Solaris.. :)

Quote:>Thanks for the info.

/Fredrik

1. Solaris 10 and Sbus FC-AL adapter

I have an E4500 fitted with the 3rd party JNI FC64-1063 Sbus fibre channel
interface, which in turn is connected to a StorEdge A5000 disk array -
there are no other disks in the system. I'm trying to install Solaris 10
and all proceeds well until it reports that no disks can be found.

Before I go any further, can anyone confirm that this FC-AL adapter is
actually supported in S10? Are Sun's GBICs (eg, the X6731A) supported in
S10?

Andy

2. CRON

3. PC164 (not LX) w/ Qlogic isp2100 FC-AL board: anybody ever got one working?

4. mtio (7I) man page?

5. FC-AL adapters Emulex, Qlogic

6. combine smb_auth and pg_auth

7. 146GB FC-AL disk in Enterprise 3500 / Solaris 8

8. time calculation

9. FC-AL system disk replacement and qfe controller

10. FC-AL interface as ethernet or as a path to the disks ????

11. FC-AL controllers and disk...

12. Seagate fc-al disk gone bad?

13. FC-AL Zoning