4mm tape - ID NUMBER??

Post by Clark » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I just installed a 4mm tape drive on a Sparc20 w/2.5.

However, /dev/rmt/0mb does *NOT* work. I checked the
/dev/directory and 0mb does not exist. So I then
checked dmesg for the hardware address - ST24 and all
the other wonderfull numbers. Then I matched them to
the links and discovered that the address should be
/dev/rmt/8.

???  Anyone know WHY??  It's the only tape drive and
the 8 address works fine.

Also, once I installed it I noticed that performance
went south. A quick check of /var/adm/messages showed
that SCSI timeout errors were being reported on the
storage array. It was hitting each device in reverse
sequential order on the storage array every 4 or 5
minutes. So, I removed the tape drive and the errors
ceased.

Ideas?

Thanx....

-=-clark

1. 8MM and 4MM Tapes/Tape Drives

Does anyone know which cleaning method (dry or wet) is better/preferred
over the other? Which is more harmful?

Is there a tape certifier device available to certify 8MM, 4MM, or both?

Is there a tape cleaner device available for 8MM, 4MM. or both?

Is there a utility available to test the tapes if a certifier is unavailable?

We are experiencing numerous tape drive problems/errors while running backups
which cause us in the long run to replace the tape drives possibly sooner than
necessary.

Any info is appreciated.

I find it hard to believe that my site is the only one to experience this
problem or similiar problem(s).

Again, any help will be appreciated.

Artie Von Dohre
Systems Analyst
Open Systems Support

2. sh /dev/tty or kernel problem ?

3. 20gig 4mm tape: Tape change how?

4. Token ring patch doesn't work for 16Bit cards?

5. Write to 4Gig 4mm tape drive, read from 2Gig tape drive

6. help with lilo bootup

7. tape parameters for HP JetStore 6000 4mm DAT drive, DDS2 120m tapes?

8. aha152x, RH5.1, on Unisys 4253sx

9. Interchange 4mm tapes btwn Sun and HP tape drives

10. tape can't use my 4mm SCSI DAT tape

11. Duplicate 8mm tape to 4mm tape

12. 4mm SGI to 4mm HP

13. problems with a 4mm SCSI tape