actimeo=0

Post by Senthilvel Rangaswam » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am using a Solaris 2.5.1 ( x86 version ). I NFS mounted the /var/mail
from a different
machine. While the system comes up it gives me a warning:

/var/mail NFS mounted without setting actimeo=0 : mail locking and
access problems
possible.

Could anybody let me know how to set right this one.

thanks,

.. Senthil

actimeo=0

Post by Raf LaPiet » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am using a Solaris 2.5.1 ( x86 version ). I NFS mounted the /var/mail
>from a different
>machine. While the system comes up it gives me a warning:

>/var/mail NFS mounted without setting actimeo=0 : mail locking and
>access problems
>possible.

>Could anybody let me know how to set right this one.

>thanks,

>.. Senthil

the last field in the vfstab entry is options. Just change it from "-" to
"actimeo=0"

1. /var/mail & NFS actimeo

When NFS mounting /var/mail from a server, what NFS mount options should
be used?  I've quickly seen our desktops complain about actimeo not being
set (or not being set to 0).

Why is /var/mail so special (I assume it's due to file locking)?

Currently /etc/vfstab has /var/mail mounted as:

xyz:/var/spool/mail  -  /var/mail       nfs     -       yes     rw,bg

Thanks!

2. Stop Bill Collector Hassle NOW!

3. actimeo=0 ?

4. NJ Unix Admin Job