Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by Bryan Althau » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Solaris for Intel and Sparc is now FREE for non-commercial use!

For .edu:
   http://sun.com/edu/solaris/

All Others:
   http://www.sun.com/developers/

The approximate cost is $10 for media/manuals + tax +
  ~US $8  for US Shipping/handling
  ~US $12 for Canada
  ~US $25 for rest of world

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Too bad Sun isn't capable of having a server that can deal with the
attempted orders resulting from such an announcement without falling
over.  Doesn't do much to show the scalability of Solaris and supposed
scalability of Java.

Trying to actually register at http://javashop.sun.com/, where you
end up being directed, results in all sorts of incomplete forms
without submit buttons, timed out queries, connection failures,
form submissions that lead you back to the same form, which is now
blank again, etc.

The problem isn't just that it is overloaded, but also that the failure
modes are so horrible.

Certainly says a lot for Java Web Server.  "If Sun can't make it work,
no one can."

Quote:>Solaris for Intel and Sparc is now FREE for non-commercial use!
>For .edu:
>   http://sun.com/edu/solaris/
>All Others:
>   http://www.sun.com/developers/
>The approximate cost is $10 for media/manuals + tax +
>  ~US $8  for US Shipping/handling
>  ~US $12 for Canada
>  ~US $25 for rest of world

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by Richa » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

////
// For .edu:
//    http://sun.com/edu/solaris/
//
// All Others:
//    http://www.sun.com/developers/
//
//
// The approximate cost is $10 for media/manuals + tax +
//   ~US $8  for US Shipping/handling
//   ~US $12 for Canada
//   ~US $25 for rest of world

Their site is perfectly responsive while it gathers your registration
and questionaire data.  Then, when you actually try to order the
damned thing, the site stops responding.  You can reload the pages
right up to the point where you're pushing the "Buy" button, and the
site responds just fine.  Once you push that button, however, you're
in limbo.  "No response."  "Document Contains No Data."  etc.

Of course, I'm sure that's just a coincidence.  :)

--
All of reality is just a simulation running in God's computer.  So
chill.

// net dot earthlink at huddler

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by voi » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

This is great!  But the "BUY" button seems to be a dead link.  I tried
this with three different browsers on two machines, same thing.  Anyone
else here have that problem?  Perhaps I should drop a note to the sun
webmaster.

--

 Ben

looking for admin/security work

Post by PeterW att clark .n » Thu, 13 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>// Solaris for Intel and Sparc is now FREE for non-commercial use!
>Their site is perfectly responsive while it gathers your registration
>and questionaire data.  Then, when you actually try to order the
>damned thing, the site stops responding.

Here's the response I got from Sun:

"Dear Friend

Due to the overhelming response for the Solaris promotion offer and
the non commercial version of solaris the Javastore website is
extremely overloaded.

Currently, our Ecommerce engineers are working on reconfiguring
or website so that can better handling the influx of hits to
our website.

We apologize for the inconvenience and suggest you try ordering the
software at a later time.

Regards,
Sun Software customer service"

Followups to comp.unix.solaris, please

-    OS/2 Warp 4  -   peterw*clark.net   -   Linux/X-Windows   -
-        Technology is only as good as the good it does.       -

Post by Dragan Cvetkovi » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Their site is perfectly responsive while it gathers your registration
> and questionaire data.  Then, when you actually try to order the
> damned thing, the site stops responding.

        Well, I had absolutelly no problems ordering, but it was at 9am GMT
time :-)
They have put a warning on their site (in red) that you might find
delays and that you should try later again (or along those lines).
                Bye, Dragan

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by Parthiban P And » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The log-in page to the SDC says :

"If you are already a member, you may go directly to the login screen.
Once you have registered/logged-in, the welcome page that displays
clearly shows where to go to place your order. "

But once logged in, I could not see any link to place an order.
Surprised.

Any explanations ?

Thanks
parthi

> This is great!  But the "BUY" button seems to be a dead link.  I tried
> this with three different browsers on two machines, same thing.  Anyone
> else here have that problem?  Perhaps I should drop a note to the sun
> webmaster.

> >Solaris for Intel and Sparc is now FREE for non-commercial use!

> >For .edu:
> >   http://sun.com/edu/solaris/

> >All Others:
> >   http://www.sun.com/developers/

> >The approximate cost is $10 for media/manuals + tax +
> >  ~US $8  for US Shipping/handling
> >  ~US $12 for Canada
> >  ~US $25 for rest of world

> --

>  Ben

> looking for admin/security work

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by Ian Johns » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Not wanting to boast, but I had no problems this side of the pond
(sunny Oxford) ordering my copy of Solaris/x86 (no waiting to use
the form).

This Sun promotion, more than anything else, has sparked (?) my
interest in home computing. I can no longer put off buying a PC
for home use - I won't ever have to let the dreaded Microsoft
Windows near it, because I can use the same O/S at home that I
use at work! Isn't that just brill! OK, I'll probably obtain
Linux as well for purposes of comparison. And I might have to
install Windows to run some shoot-em-up games, but still...

Nice one Sun.

---
--

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,            Phone:  +44 1235 446738
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0QX,                 Fax:    +44 1235 445727

Sun _FREE_ Solaris OS (x86/Sparc) Promotion for non commercial use

Post by Parthiban P And » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        I was able to place an order today. May be you can try now.

-parthi

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 15 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Wintel is worse.  At least Sun isn't trying to re-write standards and call
>them their own...

>Remember that anticipating response volume is a black art; I think Sun's
>doing a good thing here despite the glitches.

oh, come on.
I think if you gave the following question to readers of this newsgroup
beforehand, all of them would have picked the same answer:

 "If sun were to offer solaris for $20 to home users, do you think the
  peak hit rate would be

  A) 1 hit a minute
  B) 5 hits a minute
  C) 30 hits a minute
  D) 1 hit a second
  E) 5 hits a second or more"

The problem is that sun has never taken home/tinkerer unix use seriously.
It is just starting to notice with linux, hence this offer. But obviously,
there was a large contingent at sun that were still with their heads in the
sand with
"Oh, this is stupid, no one will be interested in solaris at home"
So they probably had the final ordering process on a little sparc 5
or something.

Hopefully, this will pull their heads out of... erm.. the sand.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5