How to change the disk controller ids

How to change the disk controller ids

Post by Mohammed Saji » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:59:51



Hi guys,

I have a SUN E3000 server. With 2.6 I was having a disk identified as
c1t0d0s6 where now with Solaris 8 it is recognised as c72t0d0s6.

Any ide why? if yes, how can I change it?

Sajid

 
 
 

How to change the disk controller ids

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 14:43:28



> I have a SUN E3000 server. With 2.6 I was having a disk identified as
> c1t0d0s6 where now with Solaris 8 it is recognised as c72t0d0s6.

> Any ide why? if yes, how can I change it?

        Did you do an upgrade or new install? Did you upgrade the
        firmware as well?

-am     ? 2002

 
 
 

How to change the disk controller ids

Post by Mohammed Saji » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:53:36


Thanks for replying.

It is a nwe installation. Actually the disk I am talking about is a A1000
RAID5 box. The RAID 5 volume was created with Raid Manager in Solaris 2.6.
Let me write the sequence done.

    1. Installed Solaris 8
    2. Installed Raid Manager 6.1.1 update . This was a mistake as it should
have version 6.22.1
    3. 6.1.1 Raid Manager gave error and I removed it and booted with -r
    5. After rebooting the machine A1000 volume was recognised as c72t0d0s6
    6. Disconnected A1000 box and did boot -r. Still the same
    7. Removed the I/O board where the QLOGIC SCSI controller for A1000 is
installed. Did boot -r. Still the same.
    8. Then I decided to use the same 72 id but make it work.
    9. Installed RM 6.22.1 but it was giving error with binding as
rdnexus.conf was defined till controller number 63
    10.dited one fo the lines in rdnexus.conf and replced with controller id
72. Then it started working.
    11. Edited vfstab to reflect the controller id change and system was up
with solaris 8.

Now, system is working fine but I am curious to know why it picked 72 and
not any other number. Can I change it?
Infact, I have a host bus adapter on the same machine to connect to SAN.
This controller is now recognised as c73 where as earlier it was c2.

Hope to hear from you.



> > I have a SUN E3000 server. With 2.6 I was having a disk identified as
> > c1t0d0s6 where now with Solaris 8 it is recognised as c72t0d0s6.

> > Any ide why? if yes, how can I change it?

> Did you do an upgrade or new install? Did you upgrade the
> firmware as well?

> -am ? 2002

 
 
 

How to change the disk controller ids

Post by Anthony Mandi » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:06:42



> It is a nwe installation. Actually the disk I am talking about is a A1000
> RAID5 box. The RAID 5 volume was created with Raid Manager in Solaris 2.6.
> Let me write the sequence done.

>     1. Installed Solaris 8
>     2. Installed Raid Manager 6.1.1 update . This was a mistake as it should
> have version 6.22.1
>     3. 6.1.1 Raid Manager gave error and I removed it and booted with -r
>     5. After rebooting the machine A1000 volume was recognised as c72t0d0s6
>     6. Disconnected A1000 box and did boot -r. Still the same
>     7. Removed the I/O board where the QLOGIC SCSI controller for A1000 is
> installed. Did boot -r. Still the same.

        Doing a reconfiguration reboot won't remove the device entry.
        Do a long listing of that device in /dev and see what it points
        to in /devices.

Quote:>     8. Then I decided to use the same 72 id but make it work.
>     9. Installed RM 6.22.1 but it was giving error with binding as
> rdnexus.conf was defined till controller number 63
>     10.dited one fo the lines in rdnexus.conf and replced with controller id
> 72. Then it started working.
>     11. Edited vfstab to reflect the controller id change and system was up
> with solaris 8.

> Now, system is working fine but I am curious to know why it picked 72 and
> not any other number. Can I change it?

        Yes, you can. The controller numbers get determined from the
        hardware setup. In the case of the E3000s, its the I/O boards
        and their HBA slots. I'm not sure how it picked a number of 72
        though. Check the devfsadm command. It has a clean up mode.
        Simply remove the HBAs and do a clean. This should remove the
        entries (make sure you remove the right devices though). After
        that, add them again and do a reconfiguration reboot or run
        devfsadm again.

Quote:> Infact, I have a host bus adapter on the same machine to connect to SAN.
> This controller is now recognised as c73 where as earlier it was c2.

        So its picked the next controller number after 72. You will
        have to remove it too before running devfsadm to do the
        clean up. It might be simpler to do another OS install and
        install the right version of the Raid Manager. If you do,
        check the controller numbers after the OS install.

-am     ? 2002