need a modified passwd command on Solaris

need a modified passwd command on Solaris

Post by Reinier Pos » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

  Hello, world,

The Solaris 2 password command has a specific problem: when run as root,
it doesn't check the usual password constraints.  I need a version
that does; preferably, tomorrow.  Can anybody suggest where to get this?

As far as I know now, getting a source code license (

  http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/solaris/source.html

) and changing the relevant if() statement myself is the only option.
Is there an easier way?

--

need a modified passwd command on Solaris

Post by Reinier Pos » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

P.S.

Quote:>As far as I know now, getting a source code license (

>  http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/solaris/source.html

>) and changing the relevant if() statement myself is the only option.

After moving to the US or Germany, that is.

Post by John T. Douglas » Wed, 03 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> P.S.

> >As far as I know now, getting a source code license (

> >  http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/solaris/source.html

> >) and changing the relevant if() statement myself is the only option.

> After moving to the US or Germany, that is.

> >--

Well you could use the password replacement program "npasswd"

Check:  http://wwwhost.cc.utexas.edu/ftp/depts/npasswd/doc/

-- John

--
John T. Douglass                        Phone: 208 533 7992

           "A train stops at a trainstation, a bus stops
            at a bustation, what happens at a workstation?"

1. Need advice for modifying passwd file in shell script

I'm writing a shell script that locks out users by putting a *LK* in the
/etc/passwd file.  I know this is a potentially dangerous thing and I want
to know how to handle it right.

What I'll probably do is copy the password file to a temp file, to all the
modifications there and then replace the passwd file.  I need to know what
else needs to be done so that things go right.  I think I read something
about using a makepasswd command to rebuild the password database?

This script will run on SunOS and there is a shadow file although I'm not
modifying it.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Stacy

2. SCO Sendmail -> Win95 SMTP Server -> Dialup to Internet. How to Configure?

3. Solaris 8-- How to modify /etc/passwd before login?

4. Workshop5.0:dbx coredump (SIGSEGV)

5. Need help with passwd command

6. austria love to revoke more of

7. AIX passwd-> Solaris passwd

8. Win95 Long filenames

9. solaris 9, NIS, passwd.adjunct break passwd cmd

10. "Login Incorrect" after modifying /etc/passwd !??

11. Modifying passwd file with vi?

12. How to modify ascii text file (/etc/passwd)

13. Modifying /etc/passwd's comment field