Solaris / BSD: (ufs)dump / (ufs)restore compatibility?

Solaris / BSD: (ufs)dump / (ufs)restore compatibility?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Are Solaris and BSD (ufs)dump and (ufs)restore compatible for
>tape format?  I once accidentally did "restore i" on a FreeBSD
>computer on a tape made by a Solaris computer (but got some
>messages about byte swapping, presumably due to endianness of
>AMD K6-2 versus SPARC processors).  I could do cd, ls, etc. to
>see what files were in that dump, though I didn't actually try
>to restore anything.

If I remember correctly, dump tapes use VAX byteorder and are converted
to the host byteorder by funny translation functions.

Sun's buglist reports a fix of some byteorder bugs (IIRC) that has
been added for Sol 7. It may be that BSD has some problem because of the
unfixed bug.

--

Post by David Malo » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Are Solaris and BSD (ufs)dump and (ufs)restore compatible for
>tape format?  I once accidentally did "restore i" on a FreeBSD
>computer on a tape made by a Solaris computer (but got some
>messages about byte swapping, presumably due to endianness of
>AMD K6-2 versus SPARC processors).  I could do cd, ls, etc. to
>see what files were in that dump, though I didn't actually try
>to restore anything.

Should work fine - we use dump/restore between SunOS, FreeBSD, Linux
Solaris and AIX semi-regurally. (Though the SunOS version of restore
doesn't do byte swapping properly the FreeBSD version does).

        David.

Post by Andrew Gabri » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

>>Are Solaris and BSD (ufs)dump and (ufs)restore compatible for
>>tape format?  I once accidentally did "restore i" on a FreeBSD
>>computer on a tape made by a Solaris computer (but got some
>>messages about byte swapping, presumably due to endianness of
>>AMD K6-2 versus SPARC processors).  I could do cd, ls, etc. to
>>see what files were in that dump, though I didn't actually try
>>to restore anything.

>Should work fine - we use dump/restore between SunOS, FreeBSD, Linux
>Solaris and AIX semi-regurally. (Though the SunOS version of restore
>doesn't do byte swapping properly the FreeBSD version does).

I would suspect some difficulties with a dump of a Solaris
filesystem with ACLs. I've no idea how they are stored in
ufsdumps - I believe they use extra inodes on disk.
Also, things like large uid/gids on systems which don't
support them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Post by Paul Southwor » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

>Should work fine - we use dump/restore between SunOS, FreeBSD, Linux
>Solaris and AIX semi-regurally. (Though the SunOS version of restore
>doesn't do byte swapping properly the FreeBSD version does).

Really?  My experience has been that if you try to restore a FreeBSD or
Linux dump file (or tape) using Solaris 2.6 ufsrestore, ufsrestore will
blow up and dump core every single time.  Have you succeeded with a restore
on Solaris of a dump file made on FreeBSD or Linux?

Post by I. Souvatz » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>>Should work fine - we use dump/restore between SunOS, FreeBSD, Linux
>>Solaris and AIX semi-regurally. (Though the SunOS version of restore
>>doesn't do byte swapping properly the FreeBSD version does).

> Really?  My experience has been that if you try to restore a FreeBSD or
> Linux dump file (or tape) using Solaris 2.6 ufsrestore, ufsrestore will
> blow up and dump core every single time.  Have you succeeded with a restore
> on Solaris of a dump file made on FreeBSD or Linux?

Ist this with i386 or with sparc Solaris?
        -is

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of

Post by David Malo » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>>>Should work fine - we use dump/restore between SunOS, FreeBSD, Linux
>>>Solaris and AIX semi-regurally. (Though the SunOS version of restore
>>>doesn't do byte swapping properly the FreeBSD version does).

>> Really?  My experience has been that if you try to restore a FreeBSD or
>> Linux dump file (or tape) using Solaris 2.6 ufsrestore, ufsrestore will
>> blow up and dump core every single time.  Have you succeeded with a restore
>> on Solaris of a dump file made on FreeBSD or Linux?
>Ist this with i386 or with sparc Solaris?

Sparc. To be fair, most of the restoring I'd do would be with the BSD
version of restore - so I may not have tried all the combinations. If
someone is really interested I can make up a chart of what dumps can
be read by what versions of dump/restore.

        David.

Solaris / BSD: (ufs)dump / (ufs)restore compatibility?

Post by jos.. » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> >Ist this with i386 or with sparc Solaris?

> Sparc. To be fair, most of the restoring I'd do would be with the BSD
> version of restore - so I may not have tried all the combinations. If
> someone is really interested I can make up a chart of what dumps can
> be read by what versions of dump/restore.

>    David.

I have Sparc Station, Solaris x86, freebsd, linux,
so I Wonder how I can do dumping for every OS ( or as many as possible).
Could you experts share your experiences about this?
Thanks in advance.

Post by Manuel Bouy » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have Sparc Station, Solaris x86, freebsd, linux,
> so I Wonder how I can do dumping for every OS ( or as many as possible).
> Could you experts share your experiences about this?
> Thanks in advance.

Dump formats are vendor-specifics. NetBSD and FreeBSD dumps should be
compatible, and maybe Solaris x86 too (it uses UFS as well), but linux
is definitively not.

Post by Remy Ca » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

>Dump formats are vendor-specifics. NetBSD and FreeBSD dumps should be
>compatible, and maybe Solaris x86 too (it uses UFS as well), but linux
>is definitively not.

        This is wrong.  The Linux dump port converts the Ext2fs inode format
into the 4.3BSD one.  So, a dump made on Linux can be restored on BSD
systems and on Solaris.

                RC

1. ufs<dump & restore> 4autoloader

Hi Unix Guru

We have a SONY TSL-S7000 DDS2 32/64 GB Autoloader (8)tape unit.
(Connected to Sparc 1000 running Solaris 2.4)

(1) How can I FORCE ufsdump to continue (autoload!) at the end-of-tape ?
OK this is what I have.
/usr/sbin/ufsdump 0bful 126  /dev/nrst20  /20GB-INFO
From the man page of ufsdump the l option said
Autoload.  When the end-of-tape is reached  before  the
dump is complete, take the drive offline and wait up to
two minutes for the tape drive to be ready again.  This
gives autoloading (stackloader) tape drives a chance to
load a new tape.  If the  drive  is  ready  within  two
minutes,  continue.  If  it  is not, prompt for another
tape and wait.

Result: The autoloader did move to the 2nd. tape within 30 sec.
But ufsdump asked for input YES/NO.
ie: Dump : NEED ATTENTION. Is the new volume (#2) mounted on
/dev/nrst20 and ready to go ? ("YES: or "NO")
It would be better 4me if I do not have to enter Yes Yes....

(2) How to restore file/filesystem ?
With the "ufsrestore ibf 126 /dev/nrst20"

Result: At the end-of-tape the ufsrestore asked to mount volume (#2)
then enter. (which I did !)

This is the error mesg.
IOCTL MTFSF : I/O error, mount volume 2 then enter
Wrong volume (1)
mount Volume 2

I would be most grateful, if any1 of U can give me some info regarding
the above. (by email pls !)

Thanks.

Regards
Charley

2. Init Broken?

3. Incremental Restore from UFS Dump FILES?

4. Simple but annoying AWK problem! (Deleting files modified/created before today)

5. UFS logging VS Solstice DiskSuite's Trans metadevice "UFS logging"

6. Seeking binary dist of gcc 2.7.x for Apple Network Server 700

7. SunOS 4.x/Solaris 7 UFS compatibility

8. XView

9. UFS and compatibillity between Solaris and different *BSD's..?

10. BSD and Solaris's UFS (and FFS) compatable?

11. Solaris remote UFS dump

12. restoring UFS

13. UFS compatibility between x86 and SPARC