Using multiple hardrives as one partition.

Using multiple hardrives as one partition.

Post by Kurt T. Belye » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

        I have an x86 running Solaris 2.5.1.  I am building a news server and
would like to take two AHA2940 SCSI controllers and 8 2gig SCSI-II
drives and make this one partition.

        My question is, where can i find the software to handle the disk
striping?  Does disk suite from SUN do this?

Thanks for any info provided.....
--
                Kurt T. Belyeu
                Systems Adminstration

Post by Matus Uhl » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

->   I have an x86 running Solaris 2.5.1.  I am building a news server and
-> would like to take two AHA2940 SCSI controllers and 8 2gig SCSI-II
-> drives and make this one partition.

->   My question is, where can i find the software to handle the disk
-> striping?  Does disk suite from SUN do this?

yes.=20
--

 ...and if you think I'm talking for my employer, you're wrong...

Using multiple hardrives as one partition.

Post by Bill Guyto » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,
:
:       I have an x86 running Solaris 2.5.1.  I am building a news server and
: would like to take two AHA2940 SCSI controllers and 8 2gig SCSI-II
: drives and make this one partition.

:       My question is, where can i find the software to handle the disk
: striping?  Does disk suite from SUN do this?

: Thanks for any info provided.....
: --
:                 Kurt T. Belyeu
:                 Systems Adminstration
:                 STC Internet Services of Washington
:                 Pager 1-800-864-8444 PIN 1820136

What you want is DiskSuite 4.1 fron Sun...  Allows you to do Raid-5,
mirroring, and concatenation, or striping (which is probably what you want).

Bill

1. One partition, multiple mount points?

I want to set up a system with a relatively small root-boot partition, and
put /home, /usr, /opt, and various other things elsewhere.  But I don't
necessarily want separate partitions for all of the split-off directories.
I know that I can put, for example, /usr and /opt on a single partition,
mount that partition somwhere (e.g. /mnt/usr-opt) and use symbolic links in
the root directory to point /usr -> /mnt/usr-opt/usr and /opt ->
/mnt/usr-opt/opt.

The question is... is there some reason that I DON'T want to do this?  Most
writeups show each directory split off onto its own separate partition.  So,
I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious?  Thanks for any insights.

-jeff

2. Tape Drive OnStream ECHO30 Internal IDE. Good Choice?

3. One partition but multiple drives

4. strange behaviour in TCP-Connect-Handshake

5. multiple partitions on one disk

6. X multi head

7. One directory/partition across multiple disks

8. Configuring Linux on a permanent (not PPP) Connection to Internet

9. One filesystem, multiple partitions?

10. multiple disks->one partition

11. Multiple SCO partitions on one HD

12. Multiple partitions or one biggie?

13. adding multiple disks into one partition - security question