So, is Solaris x86 solid?

Post by Dean Broo » Tue, 10 Aug 1993 02:33:50

   Our company is considering purchasing Solaris x86 for heavy
use on some of our Intel workstations, and for some of
our server machines.

   I have a couple of questions:

   1.  On, say, a 50Mhz 486DX, how does Solaris x86 perform?
       Obviouisly, we aren't going to get the same performance
       as we would from a Sun workstation, but how many concurrent
       users could you theoretically support on a machine running
       Solaris x86 on the above platform?

   2.  Stability.  How does Solaris perform as far as reliability.
       How long can we expect a Solaris workstation to go between
       reboots.  We have had Intel-based UNIX systems before, and
       quite a few of those products would hang/crash/lock-up due
       to problems with the OS.  Has Solaris matured enough to
       be somewhat reliable?

   3.  Are there any software-porting considerations?  From what
       I gather, Sun puts out a great OS, but I haven't read
       much about Solaris x86 specifically.

Any comments would be welcome.  I would really appreciate *any*
information you might have, no matter how trivial.

                                        Regards... Dean

--

<><> System Administrator / Postmaster       CompuServe: 70672,2405
<><> Copper Electronics, Inc.

So, is Solaris x86 solid?

Post by Ed Whittemo » Tue, 10 Aug 1993 22:29:10

>   Our company is considering purchasing Solaris x86 for heavy
>use on some of our Intel workstations, and for some of
>our server machines.

>   I have a couple of questions:

>   1.  On, say, a 50Mhz 486DX, how does Solaris x86 perform?
>       Obviouisly, we aren't going to get the same performance
>       as we would from a Sun workstation, but how many concurrent
>       users could you theoretically support on a machine running
>       Solaris x86 on the above platform?

What makes you say that? We have 486 Solaris machines which performa
very respectably as compared to say, a Sparcstation 2. The number of
users you can support is probably the same as on such a risc machine,
dependant only on the intelligence of the sub-system hardware and
the applications.

Quote:

>   2.  Stability.  How does Solaris perform as far as reliability.
>       How long can we expect a Solaris workstation to go between
>       reboots.  We have had Intel-based UNIX systems before, and
>       quite a few of those products would hang/crash/lock-up due
>       to problems with the OS.  Has Solaris matured enough to
>       be somewhat reliable?

We have machines which have been up since early June.

Quote:

>   3.  Are there any software-porting considerations?  From what
>       I gather, Sun puts out a great OS, but I haven't read
>       much about Solaris x86 specifically.

From an application standpoint, no. Most apps require only a recompile.

--

American Micro Group, Inc.   201-944-3293

1. "who am i" on x86 vs Sparc Solaris 2.4

On Solaris x86 2.4, the "who am i" command does not print out as the last
field, the system from which a user has logged in from over the network.
SPARC Solaris 2.4 does, however.  "who" alone on x86 and SPARC does print
out the remote host, though.

x86 2.4:
babylon5:~:$ who
mikebat    console      Jun 13 17:00
mikebat    pts/2        Jun 20 11:21
mikebat    pts/3        Jun 20 11:21
mikebat    pts/4        Jun 20 11:22
mikebat    pts/5        Jun 26 16:22    (ivanova.NAI-Sys.COM)
babylon5:~:$ who am i
mikebat    pts/5        Jun 20 11:20

SPARC 2.4:
ivanova:~:$ who
root       console      Jun 19 13:59
mikebat    pts/0        Jun 26 16:03    (babylon5.NAI-Sys.COM)
ivanova:~:$ who am i
mikebat    pts/0        Jun 26 16:03    (babylon5.NAI-Sys.COM)

What gives?  How can this be corrected?  I need consistent behavior on
both platforms, unless someone can point out some other way a login script
can determine which system I logged in from.
--

  ClarkNet censors the newsfeed, so I am looking for a new Internet provider
   local to Annapolis, Maryland.  Dialup PPP service and custom domain name

2. support for winbond ethernet card chipsets?

3. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

4. US-NY-NYC - C/UNIX PROGRAMMER/QUANT - NYC INVESTMENT MGT

5. Solaris x86 or not to Solaris x86?

6. Open Source: Who/Why

7. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

8. Interrupt acknowlege approach in RISC OS Kernal

9. Solaris x86 should use HLT instruction / was: Re: solaris x86 7 as guest?

10. Disk description issues with a solid state hard drive on Solaris 2.6

11. Solid State IDE Disks SPARC/Solaris

12. COMMERCIAL: SOLID Server database for SUN Solaris available

13. Need a solid Solaris Admin