Solaris 10 jumpstart. Rules processed but profile isnt.

Solaris 10 jumpstart. Rules processed but profile isnt.

Post by chris_akins2.. » Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:39:27

We are setting up a jumpstart server for automated installation.  We
can get it to process the sysid config and it appears to read our
rules.ok file.  But it doesn't process the profile for the server.

Here is the install output:

Requesting Internet address for 8:0:20:da:a:1e
SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_118822-25 64-bit
Copyright 1983-2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Use is subject to license terms.
whoami: no domain name
Configuring devices.
Using RPC Bootparams for network configuration information.
Attempting to configure interface hme1...
WARNING: hme1: fault detected in device; service degraded
WARNING: hme1: No response from Ethernet network : Link down -- cable
problem?
Skipped interface hme1
Attempting to configure interface hme0...
Configured interface hme0
Beginning system identification...
Searching for configuration file(s)...
Using sysid configuration file
65.74.139.207:/home/jumpstart/config/uterpendragon/sysidcfg
Search complete.
Discovering additional network configuration...
Completing system identification...
Starting remote procedure call (RPC) services: done.
System identification complete.
Starting Solaris installation program...
Executing JumpStart preinstall phase...
Searching for SolStart directory...
Checking rules.ok file...
Using begin script: install_begin
Using finish script: patch_finish
Executing SolStart preinstall phase...
Executing begin script "install_begin"...
Begin script install_begin execution completed.

q The Solaris Installation Program
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

  The Solaris installation program is divided into a series of short
sections
  where you'll be prompted to provide information for the installation.
At the
  end of each section, you can change the selections you've made before
  continuing.

  About navigation...
        - The mouse cannot be used
        - If your keyboard does not have function keys, or they do not
          respond, press ESC; the legend at the bottom of the screen
          will change to show the ESC keys to use for navigation.

As you can see it dumps to the installation and has to be manually
completed.

Our rules file is:

any     -       -       uterpendragon_class     -

Our profile (uterpendragon_class)

install_type    initial_install
system_type     standalone
partitioning    default
cluster         SUNWCall

What are we doing wrong?

1. Jumpstart solaris 10 b69 and solaris 10 b72 on an Ultra 30

I am trying to jumpstart a Sun Ultra 30 using Solaris 10 b69
(b72 gives the same results) from a Linux jumpstart server.

I have scripts for all this (soon to be release opensource!) but
..although I can get b55, beta5(b60) and b63  and b55 to work
b63 and b72 do not work!

since this is an Ultra 30 I went to

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Sun4u...
and ran Patch 105930-06 with no problems.

Even now it does not boot.

- bpgetfile shows all parameters can be retreived ok.
- nfs mounts all work
- pfinstall shows the profile is ok
- I've checked the rules file and it is fine.
- The /tftpboot directory is setup correctly with the right inetboot file.

reset
boot net - install
I can see the tftp transfer clock up ok to 38600
The linux server shows the correct mount of the root= directory.

Normally the kernel banner should appear next but instead I get
loads of messages

not found: vmem_create
not found: vmem_alloc
not found: cv_signal
not found: wake_sched_sec
not found: physmax
not found: putreg
not found: fp_precise
not found: ddi_prop_lookup_init_array
not found: sema_v
not found: traceregs
not found: psignal
not found: strcmp
not found: fop_putpage
not found: strcmp
not found: global_zone
not found: fastscan

etc.. and eventually

krtld:error during initial load/link phase
panic - boot:exitto64 returned from client program

and I'm back at the ok prompt

1. From the book "Solaris Internals: Core Kernel Architecture" using

/usr/ccs/bin/dump -Lv /platform/sun4u/kernel/sparcv9/unix

mentions the line NEEDED..dtracestubs

but I cannot find dtracestubs under that /platform directory.
Is this a problem?

2. nm on things seems to indicate the missing symbols are in genunix
but I'm not sure how to debug what is going on??

3. eeprom | grep boot-file give
boot-file: data not available so I assume a 64-bit boot should occur.

On the net I've seen add set moddebug to /etc/system but the
Solaris Internals boot indicates that /etc/system is read AFTER
krtld does an inital link.

I'm totally stumped why this will not work...Any ideas?

2. upgrade from mklinux dr3 on 9500

3. upgrade solaris 9 -> solaris 10 with jumpstart: insufficient space

4. (UDB) Mouse not working

5. Jumpstart Solaris 8 vs. Solaris 10 (sparc)

6. Creating Empty Files for mmap()

7. Jumpstart issue: Could not find matching rule in rules.ok

8. Scribe, GML

9. Applying Solaris 10 patches during Jumpstart

10. Solaris 10: Disabling services (svcs) during jumpstart?

11. Does Jumpstart read all 4 CDs for Solaris 10?

12. solaris 10 3/05 jumpstart still won't find ypserv

13. Panic at miniroot load after GRUB selection (Solaris 10 Express Jumpstart)