/usr/sfw/bin/gmake - what Solaris installation?

/usr/sfw/bin/gmake - what Solaris installation?

Post by from the » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:44:32

I know GNU make is installed as /usr/sfw/bin/gmake on a full install of
Solaris 10. But what other installation(s) will include this? I assume
the developers one will, but can't can't check without doing an
installation, which is a lot of work.

I've been involved with a Solaris port of SAGE
http://modular.ucsd.edu/sage/
and someone is giving a talk about it. It would be useful to know what
is the minimum system to have GNU make.

For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what
installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed?

--
Dave K

/usr/sfw/bin/gmake - what Solaris installation?

Post by Michael Tosc » Sun, 05 Feb 2006 23:59:27

Quote:> I know GNU make is installed as /usr/sfw/bin/gmake on a full install of
> Solaris 10. But what other installation(s) will include this? I assume
> the developers one will, but can't can't check without doing an
> installation, which is a lot of work.

> I've been involved with a Solaris port of SAGE
> http://modular.ucsd.edu/sage/
> and someone is giving a talk about it. It would be useful to know what
> is the minimum system to have GNU make.

> For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what
> installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed?

pkgchk -lp /usr/sfw/bin/gmake
finds about the package(s) that use it.
pkginfo -l <package>
finds out if <package> is installed. If not one can install it:
pkgadd -d <dir> <package>

It is safer when you supply a gmake with your software.

--

Post by Henry Townsen » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 03:28:55

>> For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what
>> installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed?

> pkgchk -lp /usr/sfw/bin/gmake
> finds about the package(s) that use it.

That works when the package is already installed. But what about the
common case where you *don't* have the file yet and want to know "which
package would I install to get it?".

Post by Mr R G Shepher » Mon, 06 Feb 2006 04:35:30

>>> For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what
>>> installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed?

>> pkgchk -lp /usr/sfw/bin/gmake
>> finds about the package(s) that use it.

> That works when the package is already installed. But what about the
> common case where you *don't* have the file yet and want to know "which
> package would I install to get it?".

There's a list on docs.sun.com detailing what packages are in which installation
group.

*ed if I can find it though. It was only the day before yesterday I was
reading it.

I've a feeling it was in the installation collection. Not entirely sure though.

Why not just ship a copy of gmake with your application. Built it Solaris 8,
everybody's happy.

Rob

Post by Mike Delane » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:15:23

Mr R G Shepherd said something similar to:
:
:  There's a list on docs.sun.com detailing what packages are in which installation
:  group.
:
:  *ed if I can find it though. It was only the day before yesterday I was
:  reading it.

That would be this one, I think:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

IIRC, in older releases this was included as an appendix to the Install Guide,
rather than being a separate document.

Post by from the » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 07:50:22

> Mr R G Shepherd said something similar to:
> :
> :  There's a list on docs.sun.com detailing what packages are in which installation
> :  group.
> :
> :  *ed if I can find it though. It was only the day before yesterday I was
> :  reading it.

> That would be this one, I think:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> IIRC, in older releases this was included as an appendix to the Install Guide,
> rather than being a separate document.

Thank you, that was just what I wanted.

--
Dave K

http://www.veryComputer.com/

/usr/sfw/bin/gmake - what Solaris installation?

Post by Martin Pau » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:17:08

Quote:> For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what
> installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed?

Here's a method that only needs the OS CD or a jumpstart server image:

  % grep usr/sfw/bin/gmake Solaris_10/Product/*/pkgmap

This tells you that the gmake binary is contained in the SUNWgmake
package.

  % view Solaris_10/Product/.clustertoc

Search for SUNWgmake. You'll see that it's contained in the SUNWCgcc
cluster. Now search backwards from the end of the file for SUNWCgcc,
and from the first occurrence search back for METACLUSTER. You'll hit
"METACLUSTER=SUNWCprog", which tells you that the smallest cluster
that contains gmake is the "Developer System Support" cluster.

mp.
--
Systems Administrator | Institute of Scientific Computing | Univ. of Vienna

Post by from the » Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:24:11

>>For future reference, is there a simple way of finding what
>>installations will result in /bin/foobar being installed?

> Here's a method that only needs the OS CD or a jumpstart server image:

>   % grep usr/sfw/bin/gmake Solaris_10/Product/*/pkgmap

> This tells you that the gmake binary is contained in the SUNWgmake
> package.

>   % view Solaris_10/Product/.clustertoc

> Search for SUNWgmake. You'll see that it's contained in the SUNWCgcc
> cluster. Now search backwards from the end of the file for SUNWCgcc,
> and from the first occurrence search back for METACLUSTER. You'll hit
> "METACLUSTER=SUNWCprog", which tells you that the smallest cluster
> that contains gmake is the "Developer System Support" cluster.

> mp.

Thank you.

--
Dave K