Solaris 2.3, Sparc 5 to Solaris 2.5, Ultra 170E upgrade

Solaris 2.3, Sparc 5 to Solaris 2.5, Ultra 170E upgrade

Post by Ata Bilgi » Tue, 12 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hello all;

I was given the job of upgrading a Sun Sparc 5 networked machine running under Solaris 2.3 to a Sun Sparc Ultra 170E which will run under Solaris 2.5.. I need to ensure that all the programs running on Sparc 5 will also run on Ultra 170E. My questions are endless right now but I will try to summarize them as follows:

- Generally speaking, are Solaris 2.3 binaries compiled on a Sparc 5 compatible with Solaris 2.5 on a Sparc 170E? (Public domain software set aside, I am mostly interested in Matlab and Arc/Info 7.0.1. Public domain software can always be recompiled)...

- Let's say instead of upgrading to 2.5 from 2.3 (because of disk space problems), I start from scratch and install 2.5 on Ultra 170E. Is it then possible to move two internal hard drives and one external SCSI hard drive connectred to the Sparc 5 to the Ultra 170E, erase Solaris 2.3 system files and directories and continue using the user directories and programs keeping the same directory structure?

I really need help on this right now and the FAQ's and Sun don't seem to offer much info..

Thanks in advance for all the help you can offer, including site names, info sources, etc...

Ata Bilgili                                    Ocean Engineering Center

http://nemo.unh.edu/aqualung/ata1u.htm

"Je veus qu'on m'y voie en ma facon simple, naturelle et ordinaire, sans
 contantion et artifice : car c'est moy que je peins...................."

1. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ Upgrade to Solaris 2.5 NIS+ Question!

Has anyone experienced the upgrade process from a Sparc 5 running NIS+,
2.3 to 2.5? The machine in question is the Master Root Server, and the
slave replica is already running 2.5 NIS+.

We're trying to figure out how to upgrade the master to 2.5 and not lose
any of our NIS+ table information, etc.  I'm new to Solaris; have a sub-
stantial amount of experience and formal HP training with the Series 700
HP-UX 8.07/9.01/9.05/10.x operating systems.  Had some exposure to the
old, regular NIS (classroom environment only), but don't know too much
about NIS+ at this point.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a web site or document or FAQ that I
might be able to access to download as a guideline to follow when trying
to tackle this upgrade problem?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks Alot!!

2. Modem problems

3. Can you compile a C programa for Solaris 2.5 for SPARC Station and Ultra Sparc

4. IPNat routing problem

5. Can you compile me a C programa for Solaris 2.5 for SPARC Station and Ultra Sparc

6. No response from network card in Red Hat 7.2

7. Solaris 2.3 w/NIS+ Upgrade to 2.5 w/ NIS+ (Master Server)?

8. User Internet Access

9. upgrading from Solaris 2.3 to 2.5/6

10. Solaris 2.3=>2.5: Upgrade option not presented

11. Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 upgrade concerns

12. upgrade from Solaris 2.3 to 2.5: install program tries to do new install

13. Solaris 2.3 to 2.5 and Disk Suite 2.0 to 4.0 upgrades