X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by e.. » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00



I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have a Sun
Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was wondering if anyone
knows of any X-windows software which would allow me to read the
answerbooks via a telnet session from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

May care go with you and Peace,
Emile G.

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Bob » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00


I believe Chameleon has a good X-windows product
for the PC.

-Bob B.



Quote:> I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but
I don't have a Sun
> Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I

was wondering if anyone
Quote:> knows of any X-windows software which would

allow me to read the
Quote:> answerbooks via a telnet session from a

Windows/Windows 95 machine.
Quote:

> May care go with you and Peace,
> Emile G.


 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Tor Slettne » Sun, 25 Jan 1998 04:00:00


    egt> I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have
    egt> a Sun Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was
    egt> wondering if anyone knows of any X-windows software which
    egt> would allow me to read the answerbooks via a telnet session
    egt> from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

There is a free one that runs under a variety of operating systems,
but with very minimal features (merely a TWM window manager) at:

    ftp://ftp.microimages.com/pub/tntlite/

Otherwise, if you are willing to go commercial, I'd choose Netmanage
Xoftware (which you can get bundled along with the Chameleon 7.0
TCP/IP suite, by far the most extensive networking capabilities for
Windows, in their UNIXLink '97 bundle).  I believe they have a demo
version available at:

    http://www.netmanage.com/evaluations/

-tor

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Cecil Pan » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00


Solaris 2.6 comes with answerbook2 you only need a http browser to read it.

Telnet comes with Win95 use it to add the answerbook2 package.

Also a normal X-windows software does not support the Adobe Postscript
display.  You will not be able to view the older answerbook.

If you have internet acess try http://docs.sun.com it is on-line.

Save your money and disk space.

--

Cheers

-CP




>     egt> I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have
>     egt> a Sun Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was
>     egt> wondering if anyone knows of any X-windows software which
>     egt> would allow me to read the answerbooks via a telnet session
>     egt> from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

> There is a free one that runs under a variety of operating systems,
> but with very minimal features (merely a TWM window manager) at:

>     ftp://ftp.microimages.com/pub/tntlite/

> Otherwise, if you are willing to go commercial, I'd choose Netmanage
> Xoftware (which you can get bundled along with the Chameleon 7.0
> TCP/IP suite, by far the most extensive networking capabilities for
> Windows, in their UNIXLink '97 bundle).  I believe they have a demo
> version available at:

>     http://www.netmanage.com/evaluations/

> -tor

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Andreas Krom » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00


: I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have a Sun
: Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was wondering if anyone
: knows of any X-windows software which would allow me to read the
: answerbooks via a telnet session from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

We use a program called "XWin32". I do not know the company that
created it, but it works quite well.

--

------------------------
ANDREAS KROMKE

.....................................................
Fragen Sie nicht, was Ihr Computer fuer Sie tun kann.
Fragen Sie, was Sie fuer Ihren Computer tun koennen.

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Dan Strombe » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00




<
<    egt> I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have
<    egt> a Sun Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was
<    egt> wondering if anyone knows of any X-windows software which
<    egt> would allow me to read the answerbooks via a telnet session
<    egt> from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.
<
<There is a free one that runs under a variety of operating systems,
<but with very minimal features (merely a TWM window manager) at:
<
<    ftp://ftp.microimages.com/pub/tntlite/

tntlite is apparently a map and image processing package.

MI/X (available from the same place as tntlite) is a free X server for
MSstuff, that happens to always do "xhost +"; it's not at all secure.

Don't type passwords when you're running MI/X!

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Davide Migliavac » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00


I recommend X-Win32. It's very easy to set up, works very well, and
has outstanding (basing on my experience) support even though it's
(apparently) a small firm.
I am in no way connected with Starnet (that's the name), just a very
happy user since 1995-something.
I believe you can download a working demo from http://www.starnet.com




>: I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have a Sun
>: Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was wondering if anyone
>: knows of any X-windows software which would allow me to read the
>: answerbooks via a telnet session from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

>We use a program called "XWin32". I do not know the company that
>created it, but it works quite well.

------------------------------------------
Davide Migliavacca - Inferentia, Milano IT
Phone +39 2 59928.1 Fax .221
------ Standard disclaimer applies -------
 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00



> I just installed Solaris 2.6 on a SPARC 20, but I don't have a Sun
> Monitor, or an X-workstation as my console. I was wondering if anyone
> knows of any X-windows software which would allow me to read the
> answerbooks via a telnet session from a Windows/Windows 95 machine.

You don't need X-windows to read Solaris 2.6 answerbooks - just a web
browser with table support - see http://docs.sun.com/

--
________________________________________________________________________

Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Rob Menk » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00


One thing that MS Windows X servers probably lack that is required to
display answerbooks is Display PostScript.  Last time I tried to display
an answerbook on an HP it *ed about being unable to open a DPS
context.

I'd be very surprised if any MS Windows X servers had DPS.

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Bill Guyto » Tue, 10 Feb 1998 04:00:00



> One thing that MS Windows X servers probably lack that is required to
> display answerbooks is Display PostScript.  Last time I tried to display
> an answerbook on an HP it *ed about being unable to open a DPS
> context.

> I'd be very surprised if any MS Windows X servers had DPS.

  Yes, I agree.  There is a solution, however.  Check out Adobe's DPSNX
product.  It's an X server extension that allows you to add
DisplayPostscript
capability to a generic X server.  I've used it on HP-UX workstations and
on PCs (win95) running Hummingbirg Exceed (an X server for PCs).

You can find some info from adobe, perhaps, or at one of their resellers,
at www.bluestone.com

Hope this helps.

Bill Guyton

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Holger Jako » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00


On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 17:27:51 -0600,


> > One thing that MS Windows X servers probably lack that is required to
> > display answerbooks is Display PostScript.  Last time I tried to display
> > an answerbook on an HP it *ed about being unable to open a DPS
> > context.

> > I'd be very surprised if any MS Windows X servers had DPS.

>   Yes, I agree.  There is a solution, however.  Check out Adobe's DPSNX
> product.  It's an X server extension that allows you to add
> DisplayPostscript
> capability to a generic X server.  I've used it on HP-UX workstations and
> on PCs (win95) running Hummingbirg Exceed (an X server for PCs).

> You can find some info from adobe, perhaps, or at one of their resellers,
> at www.bluestone.com

> Hope this helps.

> Bill Guyton

It's a shame that the Answerbooks are only available in
Postscript format, not in PDF or HTML! Does it make sense
to buy an expensive DisplayPostscript for just one purpose?

Holger Jakobs

--
Holger Jakobs, Bergisch Gladbach

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Steve Bellen » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00




>It's a shame that the Answerbooks are only available in
>Postscript format, not in PDF or HTML! Does it make sense
>to buy an expensive DisplayPostscript for just one purpose?

Answerbook2 (with Solaris 2.6) is web based.
Try it out: http://docs.sun.com/ab2

One did not need DPS to read the answerbook, ghostview could read them
and I think there was a perl script running around to help with the
navigation.

DPS postscript is included with Solaris, so it cannot be too expensive. The
reason you think it is expensive is that it was not included with your
cheap pc or your cheap pc X-server. Think of it like cars, low end cars
come with nada everything is a pay-more-for option. High end cars include
things that the low end considers as options. But if you need AC, you
need AC.

--

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Mark C Olso » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00


[snip]

Quote:

> It's a shame that the Answerbooks are only available in
> Postscript format, not in PDF or HTML! Does it make sense
> to buy an expensive DisplayPostscript for just one purpose?

In Solaris 2.6 they are in HTML.

--
Mark C Olson  
ADC Telecommunications

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Mark C Olso » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00


[snip]

Quote:

> It's a shame that the Answerbooks are only available in
> Postscript format, not in PDF or HTML! Does it make sense
> to buy an expensive DisplayPostscript for just one purpose?

In Solaris 2.6 they are in HTML.

--
Mark C Olson  
ADC Telecommunications

 
 
 

X-window software for Windows/Windows 95

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00


[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]



>[snip]

>> It's a shame that the Answerbooks are only available in
>> Postscript format, not in PDF or HTML! Does it make sense
>> to buy an expensive DisplayPostscript for just one purpose?
>In Solaris 2.6 they are in HTML.

To be precise, they're converted to HTML on the fly when reading.

Casper
--
Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
be fiction rather than truth.