ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

Post by Scott Anderso » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Platform / OS:
Ultra 2 / Sol 2.6

Problem:
/.profile and or /etc/profile not being read from login using ksh when
starting xterm -- works if I telnet in?

Any suggestions?

ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

Post by Steve Bellen » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Platform / OS:
>Ultra 2 / Sol 2.6

>Problem:
>/.profile and or /etc/profile not being read from login using ksh when
>starting xterm -- works if I telnet in?

It is a feature. The .profile file should contain only things that need
to be run once per login. One of the lines of .profile often is
ENV=~/.kshrc
export ENV
and then .kshrc is executed for every shell.

You don't say what window environment you are using, but most have to
be told to run .profile. CDE runs .dtprofile which can be made to run
the file .profile. I forget the similar file for openwindows, but you
can do it in .xsession or .xinitrc.

[When you telnet in, ksh is started as -ksh, which is a login shell. By
default, a ksh shell start in an xterm is not a login shell. The
xterm -ls option will make the xterm start ksh as -ksh.]

--

ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

Post by Scott Anderso » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

xcellent info -- does the trick just fine -- thank you!

scott

--
Scott D. Anderson * The Stuart News * Special Projects Manager
1939 SE Federal Highway * Stuart, FL 34994

Internal Web * http://www.tcpalm.com

External Web * http://www.gate.net/~crontab