reading/scanner Legato Networker tapes while booted from CD

reading/scanner Legato Networker tapes while booted from CD

Post by crch.. » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

 I'd like to find out if there's a way to scan tapes and
recover data from a legato networker tape, while booted
from a Solaris 7 CD. I've seen some documentation on how
to do this, but was unable to get the instructions to
work using the devices we have.

The system being used is a Sun E5000 server running
Solaris 7, and attached is a Qualstar Jukebox with a
Sony SDX-300C tape drive.  There's a custom st.conf
entry required to set up the Sony tape device.  While
booted from CD, I've put the customized st.conf file into
place in /tmp/kernel/drv, and I've done a modunload,
and modload, of the st driver, giving the path to
/tmp/kernel/drv so that the customized st.conf file
would be read in when the st driver was loaded.  This
doesn't seem to have worked however.  Whenever I
scan the tapes, I get a "ENOMEM" error message, and
the scanner command ends without returning any SSID
numbers.

If anyone knows of a way to set this up, I'd appreciate
hearing about it.

Thanks a lot,
Carol

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Reading Legato Networker Tapes

        I have to turn over a set of Legato Networker backup tapes (full backup
of just one host running Solaris 2.5.1) to a third party that does not
have access to a Legato system and will need to read the data contained
on the tapes.

        Can the information backed up on the tapes be accessed without using
Legato Networker thru the use of normal unix utilities such as tar,
ufsrestore, or cpio?  I've searched the Legato documentation and deja
news and haven't been able to find the answer.

John Haney
Systems Engineer
GTE Internetworking
San Diego CA

2. keys with different behaviour under X ???

3. Legato NetWorker - Soft Errors on 8mm 3M Data tapes (replace tape!)

4. finer control over the cursor

5. ¨Legato Networker on Boot-CD

6. Resend (Sorry) Passwords

7. Solstice Backup/Legato Networker problem : need label stored on tape, not jukebox

8. ethernet problems!!!

9. Legato Networker, SONY SDX-500C AIT-2 Tapes, RedHat 7.0

10. Legato Networker, Linux & IMB tape libraries.

11. read-only filesystems and Legato Networker?

12. Moving non-Legato scratch tapes inL20 with Legato running

13. Q: How to re-connect to SCSI tape drive without re-booting after Legato process hangs?